Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 MN hunters, .270 or .280 OK for brushy woods for deer? >

MN hunters, .270 or .280 OK for brushy woods for deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

MN hunters, .270 or .280 OK for brushy woods for deer?

Old 12-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MN hunters, .270 or .280 OK for brushy woods for deer?

HD -

What is the place called in Alexandria that makes the Encore barrels? In my post for rifle barrels someone said something about it and couldn't recall what the business name was.

As for choosing between the switch barrel Encore and the Tikka, I can't make an educated decision on that yet. I have never fired a rifle chambered Encore yet. I have only dealt with the smokepole side of it.

When I bought my Encore I really didn't see any reason to get the more expensive Pro Hunter. It does look cool, and I hear the stock on it really soaks up recoil from the big bores. I am going to replace the recoil pad on my Encore with a Simms pad. The recoil isn't bad at all with the 50 cal barrel on it, but the pad is very hard and it is uncomfortable. The speed breech looks to be the most advantagous option to the Pro Hunter. I wouldn't mind having that option, but it isn't difficult to pull the breech plug on a regular Encore. All you need is the enclosed deep well socket from the factory, or a 7/16" deep well socket.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:42 PM

I was just reading your post and left it there.

E. Arthur Browne http://eabco.com/
Old 12-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the site. I've been to that one long before I owned an Encore. I really like the price of the Pro Hunter barrels on there. May have to get one an try 'em out!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:21 PM

Thanks Rammer,
This is really a tough decision! I dropped by a gun shop today and they had an Encore and the Tikka both in stock. I presented the question to him and he basically said toss a coin. I hate this, I am very well versed in kayaks, I can usually just look over the design and know if it will be what I am looking for. I guess that I was away from hunting a bit too long, I kind of got away from it when my kids came along.My Dad had an arsenal of about 50-60 guns that I had inherited for a short time. After he passed away my Mom was kind of dealing with some rough times, I gave them back to her to sell. If he was still alive I could ask him, although for selling the guns he probably wouldn't answer me. Although since he didn't do the modern ML or traditional. I know his answer would be the Tikka, without a doubt. I have not really talked to anyone that is using their Encores with other barrels yet. I will just need to keep digging and sifting through the posts I guess. The Encores make the most sense I guess as far as the options offered. Oh well, I have until next week to make my decision, maybe I can get some more input between now and then!

Mike
Old 12-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well it sounds as if you are torn between a gun that shoots just one round, but is very good at that. Or between a gun that has the capability to shoot more than one round, but may not be the best at one or the other. I say suck it up and get the one that you can get different barrels for and get the .50 and .270 barells and dont look back. That is just my opinion though.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its just good to see that I am not the only one that can't make up my mind when it comes to guns! hehehe

I had been looking at 20 gauge shotguns for about 2 years and 2 weeks ago I finally made up my mind and ordered one up. I end up with a Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge, and man is it sweet.

So, I am positive that if you keep thinking and debating you will make the right decision. It all comes down to if you want multiple shots or a single shot.

BTW - I am now wondering if I should just get another bolt gun in the cartridge I am leaning towards (7mm08). And save up some money and buy a 45/70 barrel next summer for my Encore.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 PM
DM

Along with a bullet that had enough consistency too not be deflected too severely from hitting some of the small branches that it may hit on it's path. That might possibly be a Minnesota coined term
My answer was aimed "exactly" at that statement.... Neither is better for "that" purpose, and nothing else is either...

To you guys worried about 280 ammo. What do you guys do, buy one box of ammo and when you fire your last round start looking to buy more????

When i have a rifle i like, i choose the load i'm going to use in it and then buy up "at least" 100 rounds for it. If i happen to be shooting a lot of them up, i go find more and buy it!!! Except for me, i handload for the centerfiresi own, so it's i buy up enough brass ect. for AT LEAST 100 rounds...

I prefer the 280, so i'd either buy up 100 rounds or the makeing of at least 100 rounds...

DM
Old 12-15-2006, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I would personally reccomend against using apeture sights on a "brush gun". I would rather have a fixed power scope on it or a smaller variable. It is alot easier to weave a bullet thru the thick stuff if you can see it all thru some magnification.

Here is my brushy area.

I agree! BTW, that's a nice buck there!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:14 AM
Spike

You got rid of your brush gun- the woodsmaster. Next suggetion go and get a semi-auto carbine. 30-06 is the only caliber it comes in, or you can find one from Ruger with the 44 mag. Take a look at the sporting goods store near you- I bet they have several on their shelf. I think Northern Minnesota has kept these from going on the obsolete list with Remington. As for accuracy- they are just fine for most any hunting range. I have used mine out west on antelope, elk and deer. At extreme hunting ranges.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Spike

I forgot, you can really burn up the brush in seconds with the semi,too. No making unnecessary noise ejecting cartridges and you might eventually hit the deer through all the brush. Also, make sure you use pointed bullets.

Quick Reply: MN hunters, .270 or .280 OK for brushy woods for deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.