HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Recoil cost me this year; please HELP (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/169488-recoil-cost-me-year-please-help.html)

savage221 12-10-2006 06:49 PM

Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

Ok, now that the regular season is over here in New York State I have a question for more experienced rifle shooters than myself. Last year I bought a Ruger M77 mark II bolt action in 7mm magnum. It kicks like a government mule (worse than my 10ga BPS) and I’ve been hit in the forehead so many times by the scope that I’m flinching like crazy whenever I pull the trigger. The flinching cost me two doe this season that were both gimmy shots :((70 yards standing still in open cut fields, I just thank god that they were clean misses).

I like the gun a lot; it shoots flat, its light and comes up nice but I can’t keep it if I can’t get over the recoil issue. So, the question is what do I do? Do I toss it and get something chambered in a smaller caliber say 30-06? Do I invest in a better recoil pad? Will moving the scope forward help at all? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Please just don’t get too technical; I do a lot of bird hunting (upland and waterfowl) and know more about shotguns than rifles. Thanks in advance.

pahntr760 12-10-2006 06:53 PM

RE: Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

Maybe a lower caliber. If you're scared, dont shoot belted magnums!!! A 308 will do you just fine. Trade the 7 out, or learn to shoot and suck it up!

chr103yod 12-10-2006 07:09 PM

You could try one of those Simms recoil pads, they are supposed to work pretty well. If the scope is hitting you it has to be back too far. I shoot a 7 mag and a pretty small guy and I have never had my scope hit me. You may have to look for a scope with a longer eye relief if you can't see clearly with it moved forward. If you don't want to waste any more money on the gun sell or trade it on a 30-06, 308 or a 270. You can't go wrong with any of those. Your scope should NEVER hit you move it.

biscuit jake 12-10-2006 07:25 PM

If you don't flinch with your 10 guage then maybe this is salvageable. What is the eye relief of your scope? That may need to be the only piece you change, after some more practice. Once you figure your eye relief, do a "stock weld" when you shoot. Bring your head to the same place on the rifle each time you shoot, and you know it won't hurt you. You can put a piece of adhesive tape on that spot to signal you that you are where you need to be. It is easy to be a "stock crawler" (move your face closer to your scope) when you are excited, eg, when you see game. The tape will help reduce that chance. Also, nothing wrong with going to a easier caliber for deer if you really need to. The 7 maggie is pretty potent.

Soilarch 12-10-2006 07:29 PM

Recoil pad will help with felt recoil but not with the scope hitting you. They're well worth it, though. Find a scope with longer eye relief. Or if you are not that attached to the gun I would be inclined to just try and get a trade on a gun in a more curtious cartridge. 7mag is way overkill for deer. 30-06 is even overkill IMO but is a fabulous deer cartridge nonetheless. You possibilities of "polite" and proven deer getters are not limited. 30-06, 308, 7mm-08, 270. As well as some others if you don't have to have a 300 yard gun.

Adding weight to the gun is another way of reducing recoil.

2eagles 12-10-2006 07:32 PM

How aboutRemingtons reduced recoil load? Jim

kelbro 12-10-2006 07:35 PM

Try the Sims pad first. It will help felt recoil a lot and if your scope has enough eye relief, the Sims pad just might pull you back far enough to keep from getting smacked.

savage221 12-10-2006 07:38 PM

HEY pahntr760!! That last comment was kind of uncalled for tuff guy!![:@]

James B 12-10-2006 07:41 PM

Trade it for a 7mm-08. The only difference you wll notice is the almost total lack of recoil. If there is any difference in perfomance, the deer won't notice.

savage221 12-10-2006 07:46 PM

Thanks to most everybody for the fast responses. Even thought I like the gun, I may trade it in for a new Remington Woodsmaster in 30-06 (ammo would be cheaper, kick less). longest shots I’m taking are a bit over 100 yards so I should be good to go I would think.