Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 FFL, how to get it? >

FFL, how to get it?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

FFL, how to get it?

Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 AM

Default FFL, how to get it?

Does anyone know how you would go about getting an FFL?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FFL, how to get it?

Do you mean a full fledged FFL or a Curio and Relic FFL?

Last I enquired, for a full blown FFL, you need to actually have a store front (physical, not just electronic). Didn't used to be that way, but thats the rumor. Only useful if you do a heck of a lot of gun trading.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:42 AM

Ummm...which does it take to purchase actions or use the gunbroker and gunsamerica sites?

Old 12-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hate to be negative about getting one, but I hope you have plenty of time and money, and don't mind the BATFE stopping by and breathing down your neck whenever it feels like it.

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=70&issue=006

Ummm...which does it take to purchase actions or use the gunbroker and gunsamerica sites?
That would be the FFL, unless you're buying only complete C&R firearms.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

I have checked with Gunbroker.com, and they request the buyer [/i]to submit a valid FFL to purchase a gun. To get that FFL, they need to contact someone in their area with a FFL to handle the paperwork and transfer, unless as the seller, you have one yourself.

Gunbroker.com has a page for you to verify the buyer has a valid FFL. Just plug in the numbers on the page, and you are set. Most likely, you will need to send the item to the holder of the FFL for the transfer to continue. As a seller, there does not appear you need to provide a FFL.

Should you yourself want to purchase some item you would need a FFL I would suggest any gun clubs or conservation clubs you can join to be the transfer agent, or a local gun shop could provide a FFL. There are fees associated with the transfer process; on the gunbroker.com has a page that you could enter your zip code to find a FFL holder to make the transfer.

http://www.gunsstore.com/user/DealerNetwork.asp
Old 12-01-2006, 11:59 AM

Getting an 03 FFL(Curio & Relic) is very easy and inexpensive. $30 for 3 years.

Getting an 01 FFL (regular dealer) is hard and expensive. You have to have an actual store-front, with proper security and a storage safe. You also have to meet Federal, state, and local laws. I believe it is $200 for the license to begin with.

I got my 03 over the summer. You just fill out the App. from the BATFE, and send it in with you money and send a copy to the Chief law enforcement in your area. It is good for 3 years, and at Brownells and Midway you get dealer pricing. And aI can buy guns and have them shipped right to me if they are over 50 years of age (relic), or are deemed a collectable by the BATFE (curio).

I did some ivestigating into opening up a shop. Bare minimum start-up cost was just shy of $100,000. That was renting a building, and putting in the neccesary security and upgrades, and a semi-small inventory to start with. You could probably get by cheaper, but it would depend on the building you were looking at. Good luck
Old 12-01-2006, 01:20 PM

Thank you for relpies and explainations. It's pretty obvious I'm walking in territory at's thunfamiliar to me. And setting up a shop (at any cost, but $100,000 gave me a particulary good laugh longrifle....I'm still in college!) isn't in the plans. Pretty much trying to get into being a DIY gunsmith...the right way. I've found a few sites but they are all the ones trying to sell you a "FFL KIT". The C&R...that's "relic" as in complete firearms? The dealer pricing still goes for actions, barrelled actions are whatever type of dealer pricings are on modern components, correct?

I can swing a couple hours of paperwork and $30...and its sounds like exactly like what I need.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:01 PM

The dealer pricing is good for everything Brownells and Midway sell. But a receiver would still have to be sent to an 01 FFL and then transfered to you because it is a modern firearm.

And yes, the relics are complete firearms that are at least 50 years old. You can get great deals on Mausers, K31's, Mosins, etc.

And I about had a heart attack when we actually sat down and crunched hte numbers. First step was looking at the building with the owner. Then I got a company out to give me an estimate on the security system, cameras, safe, and window gaurds. WOW, talk about a bill!LOL

You can order the 03 application from the BATFE for free. Order 2 copies in case you screw one up. It takes about 15 minuted to fill out, and is pretty simple. Do not use the application that you download off the internet. I was told by the BATFE that they no longer accepted those, and would return it. It has to be the one from them that they send you.

Good luck
Old 12-01-2006, 11:57 PM

I don't know what youre trying to do, but if all you want to do is buy guns from gunsamerica or gunbroker, you simply need to find someone with an ffl in your area(hint- every gun store has one) and have the gun shipped to them. generally they charge a $5-50 fee depending on how big of *******s they are; mine charged me $25, that seems to be the general cost.

You don't need your own personal ffl to buy guns off the internet. now if you wanted to sell them as a dealer you would need one, and i dont know if you need one to be a DIY gunsmith, but i'd imagine not as long as you were gunsmithing your own hardware.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Banned

Soilarch,
I am an FFL-Dealer -01 license.
Not sure where (what state/city) you are located in.
Someone menitioned a $100K startup fee, Not here in Vermont. I don't have that kind of money. I am a kitchen table dealer, have been since the early 1990's. Paper work happens in about (6) weeks from what I remember. $200 init. fee---> license good for (3) years, then $90 every (3) years after that.
I am located in a house that I own ( ie. permenent location) that is in a small town w/o any restrictions prohibiting me from operating from this location.
Again, someone in this tread menitioned a FFL-Kit. That's how I did it years ago. Kit contains forms, bound book and contact numbers for distributors/suppliers. Kind of a no brainer approach.
The one thing you mention that sounds like a show stopper is the fact that you are a student, does this mean that you live in a dorm on campus or in a rental situation? This will be the big concern.
Something else to consider: Once you have your license, you will be hounded to death for price quotes from every friend, relative, co-worker, hunting partner you can think of. Comes with the territory.
Excuss the long response.

GAO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.