Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 SKS for Deer >

SKS for Deer

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SKS for Deer

Old 11-30-2006, 02:36 PM

Default SKS for Deer

Has anyone killed a deer with an SKS? I have a pretty sweet one that I modified with a muzzle break, Monte Carlo stock, and a pretty good scope. I can put 20rds in about a softball sized group at 100 meters. I never wanted to use it for deer though. I figured it had enough penetration, but the knockdown force would be lacking. I have some ballistic tipped 7.62x39 that I got from Georgia Arms ( Ammo loading company in the southeast). My friend wanted to use it to hunt with, because he said its " One bad a$$ gun" I gave him a 5 rd detatchable mag with a few ballistic tip rounds, and told him to have at it. Well, he shot about a 120lb doe with it. It made it about 50 feet or so and hit the dirt. Upon inspection, I could find NO EXIT WOUND. I thought...great, this bullet is lodged inside his ribcage. Oh no, I eventually found an exit...It was as large as the entrance wound...tiny! After gutting her, the lungs, and heart were pretty much liquified.....Is this a good thing or a bad thing? A little feedback, please.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:47 PM

Default RE: SKS for Deer

I would be that guy that shot the doe. Plenty enough for close range hardwood hunting.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:49 PM

Yea, Im afraid I have to agree
Old 11-30-2006, 03:57 PM

The 7.62x39 is pretty simular to the 30-30 round. The 30-30 round is a bit better becuase it retains more energy down range because of the heavier bullets, other wise they are pretty simular.

An accurate SKS with good ammo is a pretty decent deer gun for moderate ranges in my opinion. I would much rather see people using an SKS or simular weapon instead of a AR using a .223 round.

Most of the major ammo companies make some decent hunting ammo in that caliber. It won't be as cheap as the surplus or cheapo ammo you can get, but it will perform better.

Paul
Old 11-30-2006, 04:06 PM

If you just had to use an SKS, it would do just fine, but make surd to get hollow point ammo.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am sure that he gun is up to the task as long as the bullet used is also up to the task. Just stay away from those fmj bullets that dont expand much, if at all when they hit something. That is probably what the deer was shot with since the exit hole was so small.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:04 PM

Yes the exit hole was small but the shot was only like 40 to 50 yards at the most. Balistic tip ammo. I love that gun!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:43 PM

CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS ALSO... MN YOU CANT USE FMJ AMMO.

[/align]
Old 12-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

They make hunting rounds for this caliber. Soft tips. Hollow points might fragment too much.

With soft tips, just like most other hunting bullets, it'll do just fine.

And like lasana said, check the local law. A lot of states have laws against FMJ's.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know a guy who has shot several deer with his SKS. Like mentioned limited range and don't use FMJ's, you should be fine.

Quick Reply: SKS for Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.