Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 School me on ammo >

School me on ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

School me on ammo

Old 11-29-2006, 04:15 PM

Default RE: School me on ammo

I used the FederalPremium Vital-Shok and went by "the .270 was made for a 130 grain bullet" theory" and did well. My complaint was the bullets always passed through and the animal ran a good ways before going down.

I switched to the Winchester 140 gr. Supreme Fail Safe and most of the time I only had an entrance wound, and the animal either dropped or walked a few steps and fell dead.

Any of the quality hunting ammo is good. When I find something that works I will go buy as much as I can afford and find of the same lot number. Thus the later will be in my hunting rifles for several more years. MV out!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jtb1967

You didn't say if you were looking for a load to hunt or to just kill paper. If you're going to hunt, what will you be hunting?
Sorry, I will be hunting deer. The reason I ask if I cannot afford to go and buya dozen differentboxes off ammo and spend $200 just to try and see what is the best. I figured if I had it narrowed down to a few different ones and then tried them out it would be alot easier on the wallet. You all have been very helpfull and I appreciate it. Sorry if I came off rude in the beginning of this post but like I said, I just seem to get very few replies when I need help. I do my best to help others when I can but I do not know everything. Actually very little as I never had no one to really show me much about hunting when I was a kid and learned on my own. Thanks again everyone for the help, this site has tought me alot over the past few months and I have actually now been able to give alot of advice to people I know from what I learned on here. (makes me look smart!)
Brandon

Old 11-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I'm going to throw out just shooting the Rem Core Lokt. I had great performance in the 30'06 with that off the shelf for years. Now I have made hunting rifles, loads and optics unneccessarily complicated!

For the 130 or 150 grain load, it is $18.50 a box. That isn't too bad. The Federal Power Shot is only $12, but not sure if it is good enough.

Remember, with the 270, it is not fast enough to blow up any half way decent bullet up close and if you are only shooting Deer and maybe Elk out to 300 yards, anything much fancier maybe too much bullet as farr as performancee need goes. Now for animals that can eat you. . .We need to rethink this more!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

I also love the .270 140 grain fail safe bullet.It makes me sad just thinking about how winchester abanded it.I think that someday they will find a way to cheapen the process of making it and come out with it again I hope.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

Well, I'm going to throw out just shooting the Rem Core Lokt. I had great performance in the 30'06 with that off the shelf for years. Now I have made hunting rifles, loads and optics unneccessarily complicated!

For the 130 or 150 grain load, it is $18.50 a box. That isn't too bad. The Federal Power Shot is only $12, but not sure if it is good enough.

Remember, with the 270, it is not fast enough to blow up any half way decent bullet up close and if you are only shooting Deer and maybe Elk out to 300 yards, anything much fancier maybe too much bullet as farr as performancee need goes. Now for animals that can eat you. . .We need to rethink this more!!!!!!!!!!!
Elk need a fancier bullet no matter what the range isthey are much tougher to topple then a deer and IME/HO tougher then a black bear and moose as well.

Also the 270 spits 130 grainers out of the muzzle at over 3000 fps so it can turn a bullet inside out on a close shot and is above the design envelope of some bullets. Granted hit a deer in the ribs up close, you'll probably get an exit and will for sure notch your tag but pull that shot to the front shoulder and you may be in for a touch more time chasing him down.

I personally think how you slim down your list of possible loads(to use a fly fishing term) is " "Match the Hatch". Basically do some research on various bullets onhow they are designed, intended use, etc and then make a list of those that match your hunting situation. Short list them by cost, availability, personal likes...whatever. While for just deer the list can be pretty long, I am sure you'll find ways to shorten it by digging a little below the surface.