Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 School me on ammo >

School me on ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

School me on ammo

Old 11-28-2006, 07:02 PM

Default RE: School me on ammo

I only use one kind of ammo now. I recommend Winchester 140 gr. Supreme Fail Safe if your rifle will group well. I never have a problem with Fail Safe. MV out!

Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

MontanaVet, do you use them for everything you hunt?

Accuracy is key, but you don't want a bullet to expand to quick, or not at all. I wish there was a standardized rating so I knew which bullets were suitable for which game, thats why I stick with the powerpoints.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

For deer----I would use a 130 grain bullet----the plain jane Win, Rem or Fed would be just fine for whitetail. See which one you rifle likes & go hunting. CB
Old 11-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you everyone, once I get an area to shoot on I will give the mentioned ammo a shot and see what works the best.
Brandon
Old 11-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

270 and deer 130-150 will work just fine. Personally the 130gr NBT accounted for the majority of deer sized game I shot with the 270 win. I have never had a problem, though90% of my deer were shot where the ribs were thetoughest bone it would see and usually at ranges exceeding 100 yards. If you want something a little more robust that will be good for short or longer rangeshard to argue with the Nosler Partition provided it shoots acceptable. If not the Nosler Accubond or Hornady Inetrbond or interlock SP maybe worth atry.

When chasing bigger animals I went with either the 140 failsafe or 150 Nosler Partition in the 270 win. Sub in the Barnes TSX which is now available as well to this category if applicable!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bhensley

23 hits and no one knows anything about ammo? Seems funny that whenever I start a thread on here no one want to give advice (accept an occasional few and I appreciate that) Maybe if I changed my name it would help?

this is why everyone was reluctant in giving this kinda advise. there are so many variations of bullets that everyone shoots something different out of preference. someone may not like one type because it had failed to do what it was designed to do for them or a friend. to each his own. the most important thing to consider is you want to match the bullet grains/weight to the game you are shooting. once you have the basic grain/weight you want in mind, then buy different kinds and manufacturers of it and see what shoots best in your gun.

i personally like the Ballistic Tips.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:18 PM

You didn't say if you were looking for a load to hunt or to just kill paper. If you're going to hunt, what will you be hunting?

As far as accuracy, you'll just have to buy different loads and try them in your rifle. As a general guidline, I've found Federal Premium and Hornady loads to average better groups than most other ammo. But there are always exceptions!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I reload and love 130grn Nos BT's in my 270 and 270WSM. If I were buying ammo though, I think Id start with the cheaper stuff then work my way up from there. Plenty of deer have been killed with a 270 before bonded--overpriced "Premium ammo" ever came out. If we are just talking Whitetails then the normal Rem Corlocks or Win PSP's do a fine job.

If you have the xtra bucks then maybe go for the expensive stuff but I just cant see dropping 30ish $ on each box just to see how they shoot. There's no way one can convince me you need a bonded or premium bullet to kill whitetail, thats just rediculous.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll have to test out a bunch. I think the Nosler Partitions are about the best all around hunting bullet but my buddy thinks they stink because he lost a deer with them. You'll get a different opinion from anyone you talk to.

These days I think the standard cheapo Winchester power point is just fine for deer. I had to buy a box in a pinch this year and it work flawlessly even with a terrible shot.

Tom
Old 11-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

I can't count how many deer I've shot with a 270. Over the years I've used mainly handloads with 150 gr. speer bullets. Before the season I tried some remington 130 gr. core lokt factory loads. They hit at the same point of impact as my handloads. Also, the groups with the 130's were one ragged hole. You don't need premium bullets for deer, find a load that groups well and go to it.

Quick Reply: School me on ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.