Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 School me on ammo >

School me on ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

School me on ammo

Old 11-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default School me on ammo

I know there are many different brands out and many different styles of ammo out there. I now use Winchester SuperX. I only shoot a max of about 80 yards where I am at now but I am going to be moving back to KS in a few months so next year I will be making much longer shots. I have a Savage .270 win for my deer rifle.
Could you all give me some advice as to what is best for different ranges and so on? Any advice is helpful. This is my first year with this gun so I have only tried this one brand through it as I really don't have a good place to practice and keep blasting off shells. In the past I used a Rem 7mm mag and had someone who reloaded ammo for me to use so I never had to try out a bunch of different styles. Thank you for the help.
Brandon
Old 11-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: School me on ammo

23 hits and no one knows anything about ammo? Seems funny that whenever I start a thread on here no one want to give advice (accept an occasional few and I appreciate that) Maybe if I changed my name it would help?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:20 PM
DM

First of all, it's really NOT about how far your shooting... What's it's about is useing the right bullet for the job. This includes the type of bullet and it's weight in the caliber your useing.

For deer and a 270 Win. you will have good luck with 130 grain and for bigger annimials move on up to 150's. For really tough animials move on up to 150's but choose a premium bullet like Nosler partitions....

DM
Old 11-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

There are books written on this subject so it is hard to give a brief summary for your question.

Different brands (companies) will sometimes shoot differently in any given gun, so you may have to try a few to find what your gun will shoot with some consistancy.

The BULLET loaded in a cartridge will shoot differently as well. And the weight and KIND of bullet (design) will have different effects on different game animals. Some bullets are light and fragile and will be good for shooting woodchucks and coyotes but very poor for shooting big deer. Some bullets are heavy and stout and are great for moose and elk but not so good for smaller deer.

Someone who uses a .270 will probably give you some specific loads that work well for them.

Robin down under
Old 11-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you fellas.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:46 PM

This is what I would suggest. When you can get to a range that matches what you expect to shoot at, take along 6 or 7 diffent boxes of ammo and see which one shoots best. Every rifle is different, and what my gun likes, your may not. I would try the SST's, Federal Fusions, Barnes, and Nosler Ballistic tips and Partitions, etc. Good luck
Old 11-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with DM! You've got to match the bullet to the game hunted! Whitetail's are not hard to bring down. For a .270, a good 130 gr. Soft Point or Nosler Partition will be perfect!
Old 11-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to to shoot the Winchester Powerpoints just because of the CXP ratings right on the box. It tells you what that bullet was designed to do. I'm afraid to tryother bullets because I fear I will shoot a moose with a bullet designed for coyote, or vice versa.
I've never had a problem with my "bullets for dummies" strategy.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: tschaef

I like to to shoot the Winchester Powerpoints just because of the CXP ratings right on the box. It tells you what that bullet was designed to do. I'm afraid to tryother bullets because I fear I will shoot a moose with a bullet designed for coyote, or vice versa.
I've never had a problem with my "bullets for dummies" strategy.
And I thought I was the only person who uses the CXP guide.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

try some federal or winchester 140 gr nosler accubonds. its a good mix of penitration and expansion. My friend took 4 deer this year with them and they worked flawlessly.

Quick Reply: School me on ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.