Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Likes and Dislikes of the .300wsm... >

Likes and Dislikes of the .300wsm...

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Likes and Dislikes of the .300wsm...

Old 11-26-2006, 09:43 PM

Default RE: Likes and Dislikes of the .300wsm...

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

I am not arguing the fact that you can buy cheap ammo for 300 win mag, but if you compare apples and apples, I would bet the prices are not too far apart. I personally only shoot "premium" ammo in all my guns. I shoot Hornady LeverEvolutions in my 30-30, and Winchester Supremes in most everything else. My experiences with "cheap" ammo is that you get what you pay for.
Man, glad I ain't buying ammo for you. Picky, picky.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, and I shoot ALOT too.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

Yep, and I shoot ALOT too.
I do too, thats why I buy "cheap" ammo.But like I said, glad I ain't buying ammo for you.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Tikka t3 in 300wsm. It does kick some but its my 1st magnum rifle so I don't have anything to compare to...Nothing thats to bad though. My turkey gun rattles me alot more. I personally wanted a 300 win mag but none of the dealers around here had one in any rifle. I checked every outdoor store between my house here in NWFlorida to Huntsville AL. No one hada WMin stock and almost all of them said they wouldn't be ordering any more due to the fact they couldn't give them away. Everyone wants the wsm. So I settled for the wsm. I haven't had any trouble finding ammo for it. Maybe notthe exact ammo I want, but its readily available at Wally World, Academy, and every gun shop I've been in...I can't say the same for the WM ammo. Wallyworld didn't have.(What does thattell you)? Winchester seems to be the most popular ammo brand that I've seen available.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: onebadf250

I have a Tikka t3 in 300wsm. It does kick some but its my 1st magnum rifle so I don't have anything to compare to...Nothing thats to bad though. My turkey gun rattles me alot more. I personally wanted a 300 win mag but none of the dealers around here had one in any rifle. I checked every outdoor store between my house here in NWFlorida to Huntsville AL. No one hada WMin stock and almost all of them said they wouldn't be ordering any more due to the fact they couldn't give them away. Everyone wants the wsm. So I settled for the wsm. I haven't had any trouble finding ammo for it. Maybe notthe exact ammo I want, but its readily available at Wally World, Academy, and every gun shop I've been in...I can't say the same for the WM ammo. Wallyworld didn't have.(What does thattell you)? Winchester seems to be the most popular ammo brand that I've seen available.
I have heard that the WSM's are doing good in Fla, Ala, and Sc.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as recoil, I have an old tang safety Ruger M77 Ultralite 270 that kicks twice as hard as my Blaser R-93 300 WSM (my Encore 300 WSM has a full bull barrel and weighs nearly 12 lbs, so recoil is non existant).
Old 11-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Typical Buck

I am quite pleased with my 300 wsm. My rifle is pretty light but the recoil isnt bad at all, accurate too. I find that the ammo is easy to find,even though I dont buy much, Idid find some at walmart for $16 a box. I reload for it and it's true, it uses quite a bit less powder than the full length 300's with comparable ballistics.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:22 PM

I traded my 300 win mag for 300 wsm. The only thing good aboutthat trade is my 300 wsm is a Winchester that recently went up in value when they closed their plant.

The shooting I find identical. The 300 wsm kicks less, but the difference is small. My shoulder used to feel beat up after 12 rounds, now it takes 13. The short action is, well, a short action. No big deal. It only holds three shells in the magazine. It does not seem to cycle quite as smooth with the fat shells, although it isa small difference from the win mag in this respect also. It seems like they tried too hard to fit the fat shells into an existing design.

There is nothing wrong withmy 300 wsm. I like it a great deal, but not better or worse than my 300 win mag. Toss a coin and pick one if you ask me. I would not trade if I had it to do over again.

But I would have a muzzle break on whichever one I had. My neighbor the rich guy has a custom titanium 300 wsm. I thought it was too light for the job, but with his muzzle break it barely kicks.