Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My 700mt won't group anymore

Old 11-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My 700mt won't group anymore

ORIGINAL: stiffwindpsr

Well I haven't checked the bases but the rings are as snug as they were 15yrs ago when I put them on with loc-tite.This rifle's rode beside me in the truck many miles and I suspect the crown may be damaged.Would this cause accuracy to suffer this much,and is there a way to tell if the crown is damaged with the naked eye?I don't have a gunsmith anywhere around here that I trust.
This might help:
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/sevensteps_102506/index3.html

The crown is extremely important to accuracy. That is why I never put my rifle barrel down in the truck. My gunsmith wil recrown the barrel for $40. It may be worth it just to have him look at it. I think that if there is enough damage to effect accuracy then you would probably see it but I don't know.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:28 PM

Not only will copper solvents ruin a barrel, but if you look at the rifling, they will look funny, as a result of the copper solvent eating them.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:29 PM

But as long as you don't let the copper solvent sit in the barrel too long, and clean it out good, you will not have any problems.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:30 PM

I use the cr-10 when I clean the rifle.I shot several handloads years ago that were loaded max with rl-22 and they were crimped.I had no idea how dangerous this was at the time,I do remember seeing fire at the muzzle in broad daylight through the scope.Still,it shot fine for years after the handloads.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:31 PM

I use the cr-10 when I clean the rifle.I shot several handloads years ago that were loaded max with rl-22 and they were crimped.I had no idea how dangerous this was at the time,I do remember seeing fire at the muzzle in broad daylight through the scope.Still,it shot fine for years after the handloads.
How long do you let the CR-10 sit in the barrel?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:42 PM

I can't say for certain that I've always run oil and clean patches through after the cr-10.I had no idea that copper solvent could damage the barrel.The only reason I used the stuff is cause I was using barnes bullets and everybody said they were very prone to copper fouling.This very well could be the problem.Is there any hope for the barrel if this is the case?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:44 PM

No, its ruined, you'll have to get the gun re-barreled.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:45 PM

Can you look at the riflings real quick with a flashlight?
Old 11-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-23-2006, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

The reason I was asking is alot of guys tend to neglect copper fouling, so long as you arent letting it sit over night and flush the bore with oil after use, copper solvent will not harm the bore, only help it. Another question I've got is have you increased your round OAL over the years? Throat wear and excessive bullet jump can be very detrimental to accuracy. I've noticed it most in the .243's I've owned, but every so often you need to move the bullet closer to the ever eroding throat.
CMA, I didn't know that little piece you said about copper solvent, I was always told it would destroy your barrel within minutes, thank you for shedding light onto that, now I don't have to worry about quickly getting the copper cleaner out.

Quick Reply: My 700mt won't group anymore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.