enough to take him Down lol!! thanks for your replys!!! :D Airsoft Dude!" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 30-30 owners >

30-30 owners

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-30 owners

Old 12-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 30-30 owners

Shooting through brush makes for a low percentage shot no matter what caliber you are shooting.
This a true statement, however in this neck of the woods with paper companies and lumber mills you have alot of thick growth from the cuttings and for a rifle your would be doing much better with the 30-30 and not the high power some would recommend. Other than that use a shotgun.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:54 AM

i do once in awhile but my 30-30 is a antique. its a old pre 64 and i want too keep her nice so i dont take her out much anymore. i also have a nice pre 64 lever action 32 as well that i luv but doesnt come out much anymore
Old 12-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I have read some articles on this where they have done tests and all of the guns shot through twigs and branches had thier shots knocked off line to where they where deflected and hit nothing they where aiming at. It didnt matter which caliber or which style of rifle. It didnt matter if it was a leaf or twig if the shot hit it, it was deflected enough to throw the shot off track. The terminology of a "Brush Gun" was meant to describe how you used the gun, not how accurate it was when it hit the stuff. There is some truth to a 30-30 being a better close range gun though since the gun kills better up close than a 30.06. Something about the way that baliistics and the way the bullet mushrooms rather than going clean through without expanding enough. I am not an expert in this area so I will leave it at that.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

There is some truth to a 30-30 being a better close range gun though since the gun kills better up close than a 30.06. Something about the way that baliistics and the way the bullet mushrooms rather than going clean through without expanding enough.
Flat/round-nosed bullets do a better job than pointy ones, IMHO.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Shooting through brush makes for a low percentage shot no matter what caliber you are shooting.
This a true statement, however in this neck of the woods with paper companies and lumber mills you have alot of thick growth from the cuttings and for a rifle your would be doing much better with the 30-30 and not the high power some would recommend. Other than that use a shotgun.
This is one of the reasons that I have been looking into bow hunting. The challenge of getting close enough to the game to get a clean shot and the fact that I dont have to worry about my shot going 2-3 miles before it touches ground. I love my guns, but man is it getting tough to fine someplace to hunt that isnt thick with strangers coming from the city to infest my woods lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

i also have a nice pre 64 lever action 32 as well that i luv but doesnt come out much anymore
Yes those are good in this stuff too, I have not seen one of those in a long time.

This is one of the reasons that I have been looking into bow hunting. The challenge of getting close enough to the game to get a clean shot and the fact that I dont have to worry about my shot going 2-3 miles before it touches ground. I love my guns, but man is it getting tough to fine someplace to hunt that isnt thick with strangers coming from the city to infest my woods lol.
Yes, I hunt with a bow also in this stuff and have shot four deer with it. That equals four years of hunting as we can only shoot 1 deer a year here. currently they are trying to change the law to allow onewith a bow and one with a gun but, so far it is still one deer either sex. And here Maine is pretty rural with lots of woods so we are not hard pressed to find a good hunting place. Southern Maine is a different story and most of the places there are posted so a big waste of time for me.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Yea I hunt with one when I am driving. Pleanty of power and range. Makes Clean kills. I saw two deer shot at onco with a 30-30. Very clean kill, so dont question the power of it.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:21 PM

Heres a pic. of my 30 WCFwith a1.5 Burris mounted.

http://onfinite.com/libraries/1062988/00f.jpg
Old 06-01-2007, 06:35 PM

lol cant you get put in jail for that... lol hunting out of a car well at least here in michigan it is! lol
Old 06-01-2007, 06:36 PM

That was in reply to bocajnala ok buck!

Quick Reply: 30-30 owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.