Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Deer with .243 >

Deer with .243

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Deer with .243

Old 11-24-2006, 04:54 AM

Default RE: Deer with .243

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

One of the most annoying statements I hear is "That's overkill", that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, there is no such thing as overkill, only moronic people who don't know anything about ballistics.
I suppose you huntdeer with a 50 bmgor 700 nitro expresss?
Why don't you explain balistics to us morons? JA
Old 11-24-2006, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is also no sch thing as under kill. After all, dead is dead.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL! Well stated.I think almost any sane person would classify a 700 nitro express as overkill for deer unless you are hunting them in an area where you might also have to stop a Rhino in mid charge. That being the case I think it well establishes the case that "Overkill" does in fact exist.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

AH, the triple deuce. Now there is a deer killer. Low report, one little pop and Bambi's brains are in the dirt. Farmer neighbors next door don't even worry.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Todd1700
LOL! Well stated.I think almost any sane person would classify a 700 nitro express as overkill for deer unless you are hunting them in an area where you might also have to stop a Rhino in mid charge. That being the case I think it well establishes the case that "Overkill" does in fact exist.
I am glad someone out there has some common sense. Over gunned got turned into overkill by some people that wanted to rant. I come from a state where the only requriements for a deer rifleis that it must be manually operated and shoot a centerfire cartridge. I have seen many deer harvested with223 and smaller cartridges.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

A guy I know uses a 243 and stops them in their tracks with his. He got a nice six point the other day that dropped in his tracks. Been using it for years and knows howit shoots. I don't think its unethical if you know how it shoots and are a good shooter. There's a positive and negative to almost every method of harvesting a deer.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

The 243 is the minumum legal firearm in many states as it should be. In our state the 222 is the minimum legal cartridge. I see the 223 and 243 about equal for deer. I have used the 222 and the 243 both will do the job and both are minimum IMO.

Total BS!
Old 11-24-2006, 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: spencer0071

One of the most annoying statements I hear is "That's overkill", that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, there is no such thing as overkill, only moronic people who don't know anything about ballistics.
Hey spencer, DEAD is DEAD, and calling me a JA only makes you less credible, I can see you don't hunt with any guns over .40 Cal. There is no such thing as overkill, to call a cartridge like the 45-70 overkill simply because it has a "big ole' bullet" is ridiculous, the 45-70 is not a very powerful cartridge when compared to most magnums, the .338 Win Mag makes the 45-70 look like deer crap, yet you don't hear anyone calling the .338 Win Mag, "overkill" or "elephant gun", why?, because it doesn't have that "big ole' bullet" that the weaker 45-70 does. I love the 45-70, great cartridge, will take any game in NA, but it is not ridiculous to use it on deer sized game with the proper bullet. Overkill is a statement that somebody uses when the gun is .40+ caliber, and yeah I would use a 50 BMG or 700 Nitro on deer if i HAD THE CHANCE, WHY?, becauseI could. Overkill is a term used when a lack of knowledge is present.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: spencer0071

Hey spencer, DEAD is DEAD, and calling me a JA only makes you less credible, I can see you don't hunt with any guns over .40 Cal. There is no such thing as overkill, to call a cartridge like the 45-70 overkill simply because it has a "big ole' bullet" is ridiculous, the 45-70 is not a very powerful cartridge when compared to most magnums, the .338 Win Mag makes the 45-70 look like deer crap, yet you don't hear anyone calling the .338 Win Mag, "overkill" or "elephant gun", why?, because it doesn't have that "big ole' bullet" that the weaker 45-70 does. I love the 45-70, great cartridge, will take any game in NA, but it is not ridiculous to use it on deer sized game with the proper bullet. Overkill is a statement that somebody uses when the gun is .40+ caliber, and yeah I would use a 50 BMG or 700 Nitro on deer if i HAD THE CHANCE, WHY?, becauseI could. Overkill is a term used when a lack of knowledge is present.
Once again over gunned got turned into overkill. you can hunt deer with what ever you want. the bottom line is that a 243 is more than acceptable to harvest deer.
I am still waiting for you to school us morons on ballistics. JA

PS JAhappen to bemy initials you jacka$$.
PSS when was the last time you hunted every animal in NA with your precious 45-70?

either way i am done with this post.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:37 AM

3 years ago, when I used it to take a bear, elk, deer, moose, and caribou. Spencer, I get the impression, that you are maybe 16 years old. If you want to talk ballistics drop me a PM. PS, are you naive enough to believe that the 45-70 when handloaded with 350+ Gr. bullets won't take any game in NA? If you believe that, then there is no use in me even posting again, you proved you lack knowledge. Also, what calibers are you hunting with lately?

Quick Reply: Deer with .243

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.