Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Deer with .243 >

Deer with .243

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Deer with .243

Old 11-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer with .243

ORIGINAL: okcmco

I believe it would be OK and ethical IF THE SHOOTER DOES HIS JOB! But I like to have a little safety margin. What if your only shot is a quartering away shot? What if you only have a moment to fire? If you only go through one lung, you will be more likely to find you deer if you are using a 30 06.
The shooter has to do his job with any caliber to be ethical. PERIOD
GUTSHOT IS A GUTSHOT IS A GUTSHOT.... if you can't hit the bullseye, DONT SHOOT. That is the case with ANY caliber. You cannot convince me that a lost deer that was shot in the hams or paunch was the result of using too-small a caliber. Anytime you lose a deer because it was poorly shot, dont blame the bullet. No other reason than user error.

I'll say it again....if you can't hit the bullseye, DONT TAKE THE SHOT. It doesnt matter what caliber you use. You get no more margin for error with a whizbang magnum than you do with a .243 or even a .223. I won't take a shot with my .308 that I wouldn't with my .243. Split second? no shot. not unless I'm already prepared for it on a solid rest. I also won't shoot at a quartering deer past +/- 30 degree angle. and even then it depends on the shoulders. Running deer? Absolutely not.

That's called shooter discipline. That is the true challenge to rifle hunting. Knowing yourself, you're weapon, your target, and the limitations of your'e environment.

The .243 is a great round for whitetail. 100 Gr. Remington Corelocts are fine medicine.

If you only go through one lung, you will be more likely to find you deer if you are using a 30 06.
Gotta call BS on this one bro. I've had more deer run farther on single lung hits with a .308 (the ballistic brother of the .30-06) than I ever have with a .243. There are far too many uncontrolable variables to say that a larger caliber will make a bit of difference in a specific hit.

Bottom line is that accuracy is THE deciding factor in what caliber to hunt with. My wife will shoot better, everytime, with the .243 than the .308 because of recoil. That said, there is no reason she should use the .308 instead of the .243 for whitetail. I shoot equally well with both, but the .308 hits harder at longer ranges(300+) so that's what I carry.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Davoh

The shooter has to do his job with any caliber to be ethical. PERIOD
GUTSHOT IS A GUTSHOT IS A GUTSHOT.... if you can't hit the bullseye, DONT SHOOT. That is the case with ANY caliber. You cannot convince me that a lost deer that was shot in the hams or paunch was the result of using too-small a caliber. Anytime you lose a deer because it was poorly shot, dont blame the bullet. No other reason than user error.

I'll say it again....if you can't hit the bullseye, DONT TAKE THE SHOT. It doesnt matter what caliber you use. You get no more margin for error with a whizbang magnum than you do with a .243 or even a .223. I won't take a shot with my .308 that I wouldn't with my .243. Split second? no shot. not unless I'm already prepared for it on a solid rest. I also won't shoot at a quartering deer past +/- 30 degree angle. and even then it depends on the shoulders. Running deer? Absolutely not.

That's called shooter discipline. That is the true challenge to rifle hunting. Knowing yourself, you're weapon, your target, and the limitations of your'e environment.

The .243 is a great round for whitetail. 100 Gr. Remington Corelocts are fine medicine.

Dude hit the nail on the head !
I get sick of hearing this margin for error bull crap. NO SUCH THING !
Theres no such thing as a brush gun
KineticEnergy doesnt kill anything.
There no margin for error.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

"WOW", I think I am going to go out and throw my 45-70's and my 30 caliber's in the garbage. I think I will run right out and buy me one of those toy guns-WHOOPS I mean 243 today. I wonder if there are any shops open on Thanksgiving day.

Sorry fellows, I just could not resist. Here is the bottom line. "SHOOT WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH". Accuracy is paramount.

If minimum caliber's were what hunter's wanted, then why all the new Magnum's from the manufacturers? If hunter's were not buying them, then they would not make them. Are they necessary to kill a deer, probably not.But they sure do sell.

If you want to impress somebody then buy a 30-30 and shoot open sights, off handed at 150 yards. Show me you can do that. Shooting like that makes you a real shooter-and you must be a real shooter before you can be a real hunter. And by the way throw your charts in the garbage where they belong. I do not need a chart to tell me where my rifle hits. I shoot it.

Now I am on my way out the door with my 1886---45-70(WHOOPS I mean over calibered piece of junk), Deer season is in here in WV. Tom.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001
Sorry fellows, I just could not resist. Here is the bottom line. "SHOOT WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH". Accuracy is paramount.
BINGO

If minimum caliber's were what hunter's wanted, then why all the new Magnum's from the manufacturers? If hunter's were not buying them, then they would not make them. Are they necessary to kill a deer, probably not.But they sure do sell.
Mags sell because inside every rational, level-headed, male adult is an adolescent boy screaming "MY **** IS BIGGER THAN YOURS!!" Which opens an entirely different can of worms about the numerical scoring of trophies eventually being the death knell of the true understanding of what hunting is about, thus bringing in the commercialization of every aspect of hunting.

If you want to impress somebody then buy a 30-30 and shoot open sights, off handed at 150 yards. Show me you can do that. Shooting like that makes you a real shooter-and you must be a real shooter before you can be a real hunter.
no arguement from me. My grandfather killed more deer year after year with a beat up 1930's era Winchester .30-30. Few if any hunters elicitmy respect of their skills as did he.

And by the way throw your charts in the garbage where they belong. I do not need a chart to tell me where my rifle hits. I shoot it.
again... the ONLY substitute for practice... is MORE PRACTICE. Know yourself, know your weapon, and know your quarry.

Now I am on my way out the door with my 1886---45-70(WHOOPS I mean over calibered piece of junk), Deer season is in here in WV. Tom.
I never said anything about "over-gunning". It just really bugs me that people seem to think Whitetail Deer wear kevlar. Shoot what you want, but dont call the .243 "un-ethical".

A shooter is better off shooting a lighter caliber if they shoot it better. PERIOD
Old 11-23-2006, 03:51 PM

"WOW", I think I am going to go out and throw my 45-70's and my 30 caliber's in the garbage. I think I will run right out and buy me one of those toy guns-WHOOPS I mean 243 today. I wonder if there are any shops open on Thanksgiving day.

If you want to impress somebody then buy a 30-30 and shoot open sights, off handed at 150 yards. Show me you can do that. Shooting like that makes you a real shooter-and you must be a real shooter before you can be a real hunter. And by the way throw your charts in the garbage where they belong. I do not need a chart to tell me where my rifle hits. I shoot it.

This is a good case in point here.A 45-70 was developed to kill buffalo at close range with one shot.Isit necessary to use this caliber too harvest a deer? No but it does work. My point is very simple. Do not be afraid to use the smaller calibers to hunt deer. They have more than enough power to harvest a deer.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

I took my olddasiy bb gun out and put my zeiss 3x9x50 on it. I sighted in right here in my back yard. I'm going to take it in the morning. From what I'm hearing I guess if I can hit it behind the shoulderit will surely go down in sight.

I know no one here makes a bad shot, but I'm guessing the reason a little bit of over kill is wanted is for those loosers that might make a bad shot or something. I've never seen it but I've heard of others who have.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:35 PM

One of the most annoying statements I hear is "That's overkill", that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, there is no such thing as overkill, only moronic people who don't know anything about ballistics.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 243 is the minumum legal firearm in many states as it should be. In our state the 222 is the minimum legal cartridge. I see the 223 and 243 about equal for deer. I have used the 222 and the 243 both will do the job and both are minimum IMO.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

The 243 is the minumum legal firearm in many states as it should be.
I agree.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Deer with .243

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.