HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Sticky lever (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/166332-sticky-lever.html)

bigcountry 11-21-2006 08:49 PM

Sticky lever

I have a 45-70 marlin that will eject good. But loading in that next round seems to be tough. You have to work it fast, and you won't have any problems. Try to do it gently, and I have to work the lever back and forth once to get the round in. I generally shoot 300gr partitions, so I know it not the metplate size.

Anyone else notice this? I can't say my 336 does this or noticably.

Chantecler111 11-21-2006 08:51 PM

RE: Sticky lever

I have seen many lever actions that do that, did it just start doing it one day, or was it after an accident or what?

bigcountry 11-21-2006 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

I have seen many lever actions that do that, did it just start doing it one day, or was it after an accident or what?
No, always done it. I just notice it at the range. Hunting, I cycle that thing so fast, I can't say I notice it. Maybe thats what the carriage needs to throw those big straightwalls up into the chamber.

Chantecler111 11-21-2006 09:15 PM

In that case,I wouldn't worry about it too much, andI think your theory probably isn't too far from the truth.

HEAD0001 11-22-2006 01:43 AM

On some lever guns when you work the lever slowly, the elevator can be a little sticky. How is your linkage? Tom.

bigcountry 11-22-2006 06:15 AM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

On some lever guns when you work the lever slowly, the elevator can be a little sticky. How is your linkage? Tom.
Linkage is fine, I suppose. What do you want me to say about it? I work the lever, the bolt goes back, shell pops out, elevator goes down, picks up a shell, and thats the way it goes. Just seems the shell might go in at too steep an angle.

I

HEAD0001 11-22-2006 09:40 AM

On alot(especially post 64 Winchester's) of lever guns the linkage is very loose, just open the lever and shake the rifle. On some levers you can actualy hear them rattle. If the linkage is loose-then sticky means that the elevator catches and releases as it rises. I had a 94 that did this. When I operated the lever slowly-sometimes the elevator did not go all the way to the top. Tom.

bigcountry 11-23-2006 11:37 AM

Oh I see. Yea, its a little loose. I shot it again today. As long as I work it movely, I have no issues. I might disassemble after gun season.

James B 11-24-2006 03:15 PM

I had a 45-70 Marlin that did that but the problem with it was excess wear. The carrier was rubbing hard against th inside of the from opposite the loading port. After hald a dozen shots it would build up filings and shavinging and I would have to rinse it all out with gun scrub. A Smith told me he could built it up inside then smooth it back down and it would work fine. However on that one, the cost of the fix was about half the price of a new one so I passed.