Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What bullet jump to expect from a new barrel? >

What bullet jump to expect from a new barrel?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What bullet jump to expect from a new barrel?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What bullet jump to expect from a new barrel?

ORIGINAL: BTM

I got out the Stoney Point gauge, and it shows 0.15" of bullet jump.
It's hard to believe that .150 of an inch is the Free bore on a Lilja barrel.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:22 AM

Yes, 150 thousandths IS a lot of freebore, not 15 thousandths like I mentioned before. Those pesky decimal points..... [:@]

Sorry for the mistake on my part.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:42 PM
bigcountry

I just had a 'smith rebarrel my 22-250 with a Lilja heavy barrel. Even after careful break-in, it shot terribly (2" at 100 yds). I got out the Stoney Point gauge, and it shows 0.15" of bullet jump. My understanding is that 0.02-0.04" is more the norm, but the 'smith said there's nothing he can do for me.

I've already checked the usual suspects (free floated barrel, scope screws, ammo, etc.), and I think the culprit is excessively long bullet jump. For this I paid $700???

I returned the rifle to him tonight. He said he'd "look at it," but I didn't leave his shop with much of a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Am I getting hosed?
You may have got hosed. .15" is alot but depends on your situation. If your shooting factory ammo, could be the ammo is deep as most is. If your handloading and you cannot reach the rifleing, then his reamer is causing the issue.

Thats why when I have a gun rebarreled, I specify the freebore wanted with a certain type of bullet. My gunsmith can customize it with a two stage ream to my specifications.If he used a off the shelf clymer reamer, and you are using factory ammo, you might have to change ammo to find one without all the jump. There is no telling what off the shelf factory reamers are cutting.

I had a 300RUM rebarreled. Max COL I could load was 3.65", and my freebore was so long, you had to load out to 3.85" to hit the rifling. I was upset, but with a magnum like that, I found out, you really need some freebore, maybe not that much. But it still shot subMOA easily.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:14 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Barrel twist is 1:14".

Factory loads are 55 grain Winchesters.

Reloads are 55 grain Ballistic Tips in front of 37 grains of Varget; this load always shot great in the previous pipe. This is what I based the 0.15" measurement on. (The factory rounds had even more jump.)

As far as the terms "freebore" or "bullet jump", I'm a little unclear on them myself. I used bullet jump based on the diagram in the Stoney Point gauge. Here's what I did: Using the SP gauge, I measured the distance to where the bullet just touched the rifling, then subtracted the length of my cartridge. This yielded the 0.15".

I don't remember what the jump was on my previous barrel, but I know it was a LOT less than 0.15". As mentioned earlier, my reloads are already a little long; any further lengthening would put the bullets too high in the neck, plus the rounds would no longer fit in the magazine.

I appreciate your feedback, gentlemen. Please keep 'em coming!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:49 PM
bigcountry

One thing you can do, is take back to the gunsmith and have him set the barrel back, and recut. But if it was me, I would take to a different smith.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just had a 'smith rebarrel my 22-250 with a Lilja heavy barrel. Even after careful break-in, it shot terribly (2" at 100 yds). I got out the Stoney Point gauge, and it shows 0.15" of bullet jump. My understanding is that 0.02-0.04" is more the norm, but the 'smith said there's nothing he can do for me.

I've already checked the usual suspects (free floated barrel, scope screws, ammo, etc.), and I think the culprit is excessively long bullet jump. For this I paid $700???

I returned the rifle to him tonight. He said he'd "look at it," but I didn't leave his shop with much of a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Am I getting hosed?
No two barrels are the same. Can't you load some ammo up that has the bulletds seated out more? This will tell you if there's too much throat length. If there is, the only remedy is to set the barrel back one thread and recut the chamberwith a shorterthroat. Or seat all bullets out farther, and use it as a single-shot, if the rounds turn out to be too long for the magazine....
Old 11-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
But if it was me, I would take to a different smith.
Sound advice!