HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Does anyone know about the Mossberg Chuckster .22 mag? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/163901-does-anyone-know-about-mossberg-chuckster-22-mag.html)

Pickerel 11-07-2006 06:55 PM

Does anyone know about the Mossberg Chuckster .22 mag?

My friend has one, and I was thinking of taking her to the range on a Sunday and seeing how good she works. It looks like a really nice gun from when I looked at it, real nice stock. Also has a scope on it, maybe a 3.5x or 4x.

uncle matt 11-07-2006 09:25 PM

RE: Does anyone know about the Mossberg Chuckster .22 mag?

What I know about the Chuckster is that I have one in my vault.

I was given this gun free of charge. It was deposited in a trash chute of a building on Fullerton Ave. in Chicago some years ago. The building's janitor put it in the dumpster to throw out but the garbage man saw it and said "no way". So the janitor put it in the boiler room where I came along one day and spied it. I asked him about it and in his best broken english he told me what I just told you.

I let him know that he was legally in possesion of a weapon and required an IL FOID card to do so or he could get in some big trouble (especially in Chicago).

He told me, "No trouble me! You take? No trouble me!"

And there you go - I got the Chuckster. It had no magazine but I got one from Gun Parts Corp.. I totally disassembled it and cleaned it thoroughly, then reassembled and gave it a few test fires. No problem.

When I got it it was FILTHY! Covered with garbage juice, multiple coats of some clear varnish chipping and peeling.

I again disassembled it and stripped the stock to bare wood and fixed the dents in the stock. I finished it in linseed oil and topped it with a fresh scope because the scope on it was all yellowish looking thru it and was low power.

It is now a sweet rifle! When I was looking for a magazine for it I went to a local gun shop and the girl there knew exactly what it was - and wanted it, filthy or not. She is a collector and is particularly fond of the Mossberg model 640s. Weird thing is that in all printed material, RARELY will you find the Model 640KA "Chuckster" listed. I can't go in there anymore w/o her asking if I'm ready to part with it.

Check her out, she's a real tack driver.

But these are a little more affordable to shoot - and alot more fun!

Pickerel 11-07-2006 10:00 PM

Yeah, my friend swapped an old Bear bow (I think) with the Chuckster his father-in-law had. It's more or less been sitting in his attic for a long time. He took it out for me to look at it, and it looks and feels like a nice gun. Hopefully he'll let me borrow that so I can clean it up and take it to the range. It has a scope on it, which may need to be mounted again as he put it on back when he used to drink (he's been sober two years this February), so it is mounted low and the cap is stuck on it.

James B 11-08-2006 12:36 AM

I had one for many years. Very good shooter and a quality rifle.

lovethebigguns 11-08-2006 03:40 AM

I have one also, it'sa 640KD. WOW what a tack-driver!!!

I got it in one of those deals where a "city-slicker" didn't know what he had, and just wanted to get rid of it so I took it off of his hands.
Not quite as cheap as uncle matt's but pretty close!

You should really enjoy shooting it!

Pickerel 11-17-2006 08:27 PM

There's my friend's Chuckster there. I cleaned it out last night, and his beat up 870 today. Just goes to show ya how muh of a pounding guns can take, though I'm probably gonna put a new stock on the 870 eventually. I'm pretty sure that's been broken longer than I've been alive! :D

Irishdemand 01-30-2017 04:29 PM

Matt do you still own this mag?

Jack Ryan 01-30-2017 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by lovethebigguns (Post 1741296)
I have one also, it'sa 640KD. WOW what a tack-driver!!!

I got it in one of those deals where a "city-slicker" didn't know what he had, and just wanted to get rid of it so I took it off of his hands.
Not quite as cheap as uncle matt's but pretty close!

You should really enjoy shooting it!

YES! I have one of those as well and it is a tack driver as well! Excellent guns.

uncle matt 01-30-2017 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Irishdemand (Post 4292486)
Matt do you still own this mag?

Why yes I do.

Irishdemand 01-31-2017 11:36 AM

I had just picked one up and was wondering what scope mount and ring setup you had on yours, I like that low mount!