Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 REMINGTON GUY SWITCHING TO SAVAGE >

REMINGTON GUY SWITCHING TO SAVAGE

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

REMINGTON GUY SWITCHING TO SAVAGE

Old 11-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: REMINGTON GUY SWITCHING TO SAVAGE

CMA,

This has nothing to do with the trigger as far as I know. It is the safety which I'm sure all boils down the sear and what not. But again I don't know the ins and outs of this. Nor do I even know 100% if this is true.

Tom
Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 AM

I think both savage and Rem700 are very well built rifles. I prefer the savage due to price and don't really care about how it looks. As far as accuracy it is damn hard to be savage in this catagory within the factory build firearms. Hands down they are shooters. The biggest knock on savage and Iown several is the fit and finish but IMO is doesn't matter as Iuse them to hunt so looks doesnt' matter to me........it is about performance
Old 11-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: octhunter2

My father bought a 300 savage when he was 17 yr. old. He is 54 now and kills a deer every year with it (same scope to). So when I bought my first savage it was based on history of reliability and accuracy. Im sure remington makes good guns but I havent met anybody yet that has owned a remington that long and to this day is still consistantly killing deer with it. (thats not to say there isnt though)
Nobody would fault you for doing that, experiencevia your mentor. It is how most of us get a brand preference, mine started with remington rifles and winchester 1200 pump shotguns. I have branched out since but still have each in my cabinet. I have 700 .308 thatwas my dad's( as long as I can remember that was his rifle for deer and moose) and my first rifle I bought with my own paper route money still has a place in my gun cabinets that was 24 years ago(7600). Both haven'tgiven aminutes worth of trouble. If you take care of them they will in turn take care of you, what Iwas taught by mentors and it seems to be bang on.

It boils down to preferences I prefer the 700 still.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Just sighted in my Savage 300WM on Sunday. One shot to foul thebarrel and then a three shot group you could cover with a nickel. My buddy's A-bolt looks prettier but his group wasn't as tight. I've actually come to love that ugly barrel nut
Old 11-08-2006, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: HogHuntingChik

Savage can price their guns cheaper because they don't have the worlds greatest stocks,
ORIGINAL: Pickerel

I'd get a a Savage if it weren't for the stock thing.

What is the deal with stocks?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

The stocks aren't the stiffest but there is an article on savageshooters.com regarding the use of bar stock to stiffen up the stock. I own a synthetic stocked Savage and while the stock could be a little stiffer, it doesn't effect performance.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe I'm a bit of a snob, but I expect a lot of my rifles. I don't even think I own a stock rifle anymore,all of them have been customized in some way or other to make them more dependable or lighter. I take them out in conditions most wouldn't , drag them up mountains, occaionally they roll down that same mountain with me. Rain, cold, constantly wet, salt spray, basically just about everything you don't want to do with your rifle and after all that expect it to work flawlessly, there are critters that bite back where I hunt. On top of all that I expect them to look good. So I don't mind spending 4 or 5 times what a savage costs on a rifle. I own few scopes that don't cost more than a savage combo setup. I would much rather have 1 or 2 rifles that I really want than 20 savage's.

There is nothing against them, I'm sure they are a good bargain but its been my experience that you get what you pay for. I don't see too many of them out hunting up here though.

For the record one of my first rifles was a savage 110 in 243. It was a decent rifle and shot pretty well, my sister still uses it back home. It is fine for sitting in a deer stand a couple of days a year, but it definately wouldn't be my choice for hunting up here.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:56 AM

I like my 2 savages very much. They are not very pretty, very accurate and well made without the bells and whistles. Thesynthetic stocks are very flimsely and the laminated are no frills, but outside that excellent. Savage by far makes THE best muzzleloader, that has centerfire rifle performance without the hassle of BP or substitutes.
With that said I love my 870 express supermag combo, but that is obviously not a rifle.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

remmy has a recall on the 700 made from 1982 till date for the saftly problem it is a 3 page recall stating what is wrong with them, Check the remmy board

Quick Reply: REMINGTON GUY SWITCHING TO SAVAGE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.