Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Caliber decision....HELP!!! >

Caliber decision....HELP!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber decision....HELP!!!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Caliber decision....HELP!!!

First of all, I'm new to the site, and I love it! I've posted a couple of times about opinions on left handed bolt action rifles and calibers.
I think I've picked which rifle I'm going to go with(L.H. Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker).
Now comes the fun part. There are several calibers that I'm sure would work just as well for deer hunting as the other. Here's the one variable....hogs.
Where I hunt, we have lots of LARGE wild hogs. I'm looking for the best caliber for a deer/hog combo gun.
For the deer, I tend to lean towards the .270 or .30-06. For the hogs, something bigger sure wouldn't go to waste.
I've almost decided on the 7mm. Rem. Mag as the caliber that not too much for whitetails and gives just a tad more "umph" than the .270 or 06'.
I would REALLY appreciate any help with this. It's a pretty large investment.
Any opinions, personal experience with calibers vs. large boars, pictures,.......anything.
Thanks in advance,
Schoolcraft
P.S. Thanks again for welcoming a new member.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caliber decision....HELP!!!

I think the 7mm Rem. Mag. would be a good choice. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:13 PM

.300 Win Mag or Handi Rifle in 45-70 or 500 S&W.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

7mm rem mag has served me well antelope to moose. Lots of ammo offerings to choose fromto chase multiple species. Good ballistics/performance with tolerable recoil for most, more than the 06 or 270 but not filling loosening IMO.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

The 270 or the 30-06 will handle anything the 7MM will equally well. We have alot of hogs on our land and I routinely use a 257 Roberts. There are a plethora of controlled expansion bullets on the market for the 270 & 06 that only up there level of penetration. The 7 Mag is a good round and if you don't mind the extra recoil have at it. I've been hunting and shooting for quite a while and I don't really believe you need to go the magnum route until you get to the large bears. Most folks don't shoot a magnum as well as they do a standard caliber. Personally, I would buy the 270 and shoot Federal Premiums with a controlled expansion bullet. Some of your available choices are the 150 gr. Nosler Partition, 130 gr. & 150 gr. Fusion, 130 gr. Triple Shock X, 140 gr. Trophy Bonded, 140 gr. Nosler Accubond. There are others but this pretty well cover the spectrum.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 7mmremmag would be my choice.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like Superpig said, it doesn't take a magnum to kill a hog. I've killed a bunch this year with some handloads from my .223. Pop them in the head and they'll go down.

Of the three, my choice would be the .270. Nice, flat shooting caliber with out a lot of recoil, and a wide selection of ammo available almost anywhere. Plenty of gun for a hog or a deer.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

take a look at the 270 WSM.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Well the Swedes have been killing Moose with Norma "Alaska" 156gr ammo, since it was introduced in 1940.
They also won one of the Olympics with the 6.5mm!

I took my Moose in Canada with 6.5mmSwede (1995)and numerous deer in the states with it.

Before then I shot and killed White TailDeer,Elk and Mule Deer with Win.270/Fed 130gr and 150gr NPfor many years.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:59 PM

You can do the job, and do it well, with anything rom a 7mm-08, all the way up to the 7mm mag. But Brutal Attack has already hit on what I was going to suggest. Look at the available calibers are for that model of gun, and see if it has any of the new short magnums available. A 25wssm, .270 short mag. , 7mm short mag. Those are very effective, and can handle a lot of game.

Just a thought of other options, that might work better for you. Take a look at their specs and compare them to the standard rounds. You will see some difference.

Quick Reply: Caliber decision....HELP!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.