Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Help--scope problem?? >

Gun Help--scope problem??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Help--scope problem??

Old 10-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gun Help--scope problem??

Hey there,
Been trying to sight in my new Remington 700 XCR in 300wsm. Problem is, I cannot get it to hold a good pattern, or any patternless than8 inches or so at 100 yards. I have a new Nikon 3x9 Buckmasters mounted on it. I have tried Federal Fusions in 165 and 180 grains (shot the worst) and Federal Premiums Accubonds in 180 grains (2 boxes), which shot better but still not to my liking. I thought initially it may be me, but my 30-06 and Knight muzzleloader I can get awesome groups/hits with both at 100 yards.

My question: Do you think it may be a scope problem? The scope is tightened all around. I would assume that a messed up scope would shoot worse(??)...but I don't know. I cannot think of anything else that it would be. Is there a way to determine if it's the scope?? Any ideas?? This thing is expensive to have roughly shot 80 shots through to no avail!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gun Help--scope problem??

make sure that you are using the same ammo on every shoot or you'll shooting will be all screwed up. next make sure that nothing is wrong with the gun if you have any doubt that it is the gun then take it to a gunsmith and if he's any good he figure out if it's the gun. some scopes are just screwed up from the begining i have had the same problem with a nikon scope it cost the biggest buck i have ever seen in my life because no matter what you did to it it shot 10 inches low. if you think it is the scope then call the company that the scope came from and tell them your problem and there will replace it for free except for the shipping. you might just want to try a different scope and see if you have the same problem. anyways good luck hope you get it figured out.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

some scopes are just screwed up from the begining i have had the same problem with a nikon scope it cost the biggest buck i have ever seen in my life because no matter what you did to it it shot 10 inches low.
When you sighted the gun in before hunting with it,did it shoot 10" low?Where did it shoot?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-28-2006, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sellme69

Hey there,
Been trying to sight in my new Remington 700 XCR in 300wsm. Problem is, I cannot get it to hold a good pattern, or any patternless than8 inches or so at 100 yards. I have a new Nikon 3x9 Buckmasters mounted on it. I have tried Federal Fusions in 165 and 180 grains (shot the worst) and Federal Premiums Accubonds in 180 grains (2 boxes), which shot better but still not to my liking. I thought initially it may be me, but my 30-06 and Knight muzzleloader I can get awesome groups/hits with both at 100 yards.

My question: Do you think it may be a scope problem? The scope is tightened all around. I would assume that a messed up scope would shoot worse(??)...but I don't know. I cannot think of anything else that it would be. Is there a way to determine if it's the scope?? Any ideas?? This thing is expensive to have roughly shot 80 shots through to no avail!
Well, you need to check ALL screws for tightness, the guard screws, the scope mount base screws, etc., as well as the screws in the mount rings.

If all these are tight, it may very well be that there is something loose inside the scope. If possible, substitute a scope that you know works well from having used iton a different rifle. Then test the rifle again.

Or, you could mount that new scope on a rifle of proven accuracy, and see if it is working right on that gun.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

You may have overtightened the scope bases, it happened to me on one of my VXIII's. I didnt have my scope bases lapped before I tightened them down.Needles to say I crushed the tube. I almost quit buying Leupold becouse of my own mess up.

Just a thought.
hunter338
Old 10-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Could be Magnumitis.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

Start from scratch.
First inspect the barrel. Is all the rifling in the barrel.
(Bought brand new in the box Rem Model 700 and was missing 6 inches of rifling) Take the bolt out and hold barrel up to light.You did clean the new barrel before shooting? Right?
Next check all the screws on the rifle make sure they are tight. The 2 on the bottom of the stock holding the trigger assembly.
Remove scope and rings. Place target at 25 yards. try your 3 shot group through open sights.
If group ok then rifle is fine.
Now put scope, rings back on and set target at 50 yards.
3 shot group again. If bad, scope/rings may be bad and try different scope/rings on new rifle.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didnt have my scope bases lapped before I tightened them down.Needles to say I crushed the tube.
I take it that you meant to say that you didn't lap the rings.

Quick Reply: Gun Help--scope problem??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.