Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mossberg Rifle >

Mossberg Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg Rifle

Old 10-22-2006, 06:52 PM

Default Mossberg Rifle

I recently aquired a bolt action rifle. It's a Mossberg Model 800AL chambered in .308WIN. It shoots great, but I need to find some better ammo for it. I've tried Rem Core Lokt at 160gr with fairly good results, but I should be able to get something a little better without going to reloads. I don't have the equipment for that.

I went to the Mossberg website and contacted them about this gun....gave them the serial number and all. The lady told me that this gun was manufactured in 1969. Back then Mossberg still made rifles. Each rifle was put together by one person, from start to finish at one table. Kind neat. ANyone else out there ever own/shoot a Mossberg rifle?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mossberg Rifle

I have one of the same models in with Mannlicher stock and caliber 22-250. It has taken many deer and plenty of groundhogs!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

well, i would try back down to 150gr or 130gr, mossberg is starting to make rifle again and i am getting one for christmas. http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=8&section=products
Old 11-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but wasnt Mossberg more popular for making shotguns? I know that they made some rifles as well, my buddy used to have an older Mossberg rifle in the .243 flavor and it shot very well, even with just having open sites. I shot it only 3 times and had was hitting within 2 inches of the bulls at 50 yards shooting freehand. I thought that was pretty good at the time for never shooting that particular gun before. Old guns are awesome, i cannot think of anything more interesting to own that can be so rich with history. I know for myself I am more accurate with a lighter grain of bullet than with a heavy one. It probably has to do with the kick?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FLOutlander

I recently aquired a bolt action rifle. It's a Mossberg Model 800AL chambered in .308WIN. It shoots great, but I need to find some better ammo for it. I've tried Rem Core Lokt at 160gr with fairly good results, but I should be able to get something a little better without going to reloads. I don't have the equipment for that.

I went to the Mossberg website and contacted them about this gun....gave them the serial number and all. The lady told me that this gun was manufactured in 1969. Back then Mossberg still made rifles. Each rifle was put together by one person, from start to finish at one table. Kind neat. ANyone else out there ever own/shoot a Mossberg rifle?
Im actually taking one to the range tomorrow also chambered in 308 im sighting it in for my friend who ill be hunting with on a coue's deer hunt in a week or so. my buddy doesnt have the time to sight in his rifle, so I offered to do it for him id hate for him to take a improperly sighted rifle on our hunt we've waited for all year long. anyway I have no clue what to expect im bringing 3 types of ammo with me 150 grain remington core lokts, 150 grain PMP soft points and my personal hunting handloads using 165 grain sierra bthp GK's id try just incase. whichever group the best I will sight the gun with. My rem m700 in 308 shoots both factory brands pretty well and is sighted in with the handloads, well I have my fingers crossed that I will have the desired results with atleast one of the loads. after tomorrows range time I will post again with hopefully some nice targets to show. wish me luck
Old 11-03-2006, 06:25 AM

I've got a Mossberg 510 D in 338WinMag.
It has been a good rifle for me.
Only complaint is the "safety on" on this particular model doesNOT lock down the bolt handle, cost me an elk once....
As I peeled the slung rifle off of my shoulder with a back pack on, the bolt handle caught a pack strap and shifted half way up. When I pulled the trigger, all it made was a "clunk" sound.... no fire. All the energy in the firing pin went to slapping the bolt handle back down instead of striking the primer with the necessary "snap". I never let that happen again, killled lots, and lots of game with that rifle. Always had to baby sit that bolt handle though.

Ammo? Each rifle individually is different, you will have to experiment.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I finally got out to the range yesterday, the rifle did waaaaaayyy!! better then I expected out of the ammo I fired the 150 grain remington core lokts did the best. at 100 yards the rifle printed one ragged hole with 5 shots. I will post a picture as soon as I get batteries for my camera. Im seriously impressed with this gun I offered to buy it from my friend
Old 11-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same model in .243 and it shoots great. We always shoot 165 grain bullets in our .308's.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffS

I have the same model in .243 and it shoots great. We always shoot 165 grain bullets in our .308's.

why? and whos we? would like to know a little more as to why you guys only shoot 165 grain bullets...
Old 11-11-2006, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

heres the pic I said I would post of the target of how my friends mossberg rifle in 308 did at the range the other day. this 5 shot group was shot at 100 yards off shooting sticks in a sitting position with 150 grain remington core lokt facotory loads, the gun is topped with a 4x trashco scope and cheap made in taiwan no-brand rings and bases. pretty impressive rifle considering theres nothing special about it.

Quick Reply: Mossberg Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.