Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 My gun for Africa.... >

My gun for Africa....

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My gun for Africa....

Old 10-21-2006, 05:17 PM

Default RE: My gun for Africa....

For DGRs I have moved away frommy push feed, light extractor rifles that I have grown accustomed to in the past, i.e. mainly my Rem 700's and my Mossburg 338 and wentto the CZ's with their Controlled Round Feed, Heavy Claw Extractor, and double square bridge mauser design. These are the new CZ 550 Safari Magnums with the safety that operates like the rest of the world, i.e. forward to fire.

Craig Boddington, being a lefty, has his fair share of Remington 700s he has used in Africa.

Whatever floats your boat. Before I jumped into it I studied the South African Professional Hunter training school results and pretty well went with their recommendations, especially since I am right handed.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ELKampMaster

For DGRs I have moved away frommy push feed, light extractor rifles that I have grown accustomed to in the past, i.e. mainly my Rem 700's and my Mossburg 338 and wentto the CZ's with their Controlled Round Feed, Heavy Claw Extractor, and double square bridge mauser design. These are the new CZ 550 Safari Magnums with the safety that operates like the rest of the world, i.e. forward to fire.

Craig Boddington, being a lefty, has his fair share of Remington 700s he has used in Africa.

Whatever floats your boat. Before I jumped into it I studied the South African Professional Hunter training school results and pretty well went with their recommendations, especially since I am right handed.
And what were their reccomendations?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:18 PM

Controlled Round Feed, Heavy Claw Extractor, and mauser/true mauser derivative actions....
[and chambered for cartridges whose cases had plenty of room left in them at performance levels.]

Brands (not all inclusive):
CZ Safari
Mauser
Ruger Safari
CRF M-70 Safari
Old 10-21-2006, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: ELKampMaster

Mossberg makes/made a .338?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:21 PM

??

1970's Model 510 D