Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 My gun for Africa.... >

My gun for Africa....

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My gun for Africa....

Old 10-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My gun for Africa....

My books say that the Remington 798 is imported from Zastava beginning 2006. ANyone know what this means? Good news? Bad news? Indifferent?
I'm assuming that's a subcontractor of some kind.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Zastava is a Serbian company that used to produce the same rifles under the Charles Daly name.They now deal with Remington instead.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Zastava is a Serbian company that used to produce the same rifles under the Charles Daly name.They now deal with Remington instead.
Are they quality? I'm assuming so since it's Remington.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remington does sell the 710.

Remember the Yugo car?It was made by Zastava.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Remington does sell the 710.

Remember the Yugo car?It was made by Zastava.
Yuck. That's like a Daewoo rifle [:-]
Old 10-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a thought...in it's current state, the XCR 700 is 7.5#, the .375RUM pumps out around 5000ft.lbs. of muzzle energy. Yeah, that thing WILL kick like a mule.

I shoot Ruger M77's in .458Lott and .416 Rigby, as well as a CZ550 .416Rigby my LIGHTEST was 9.5# before adding a butt pad, detachable scope mounts and scope, aluminum bedding block,and extra weight in the forend and buttstock. The CZ has a compensator and it's a pleasure to shoot for what it is, but you'd be pretty d@mn tough to sit down and put a box through it (not that you ever would anyway).

Plus, like others have mentioned, you're not going to be able to find RUM ammo over there, so on the good chance that you get separated from your ammo in transit, you'll likely want to have a more commonly used cartridge.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:37 PM
DM

As I said, nobody is a bigger remington 700 fan than myself, they are the best production deer, varmin tand target rifle IMO. But a DGR they are NOT. Reasons. Brazed bolt handle, bad extractor system (for dg), and a not so great ejector system (for dg). The last thing I would want chasing DG on another continent, in much warmer temps (and in turn, higher pressures), with big bore, high pressure loadings is a rifle that is not 100% to extract and eject, and one whose bolt hand might just come off if I yank on it to extract that sticky case.Africa is the onearena where the Mauser wins, every time, hands down. Dont take my word for it, www.accuratereloading.com
I'll probable get into trouble for telling the truth here, but here goes....

I bought my first 700 Rem. in about 1971 and i'm still shooting it... I've had/have many more that i've hunted with all over the U.S. and Canada. None of the extractors in any of my Rem. 700's have had even one seconds problem..... None of them can tell if your hunting DG or a squirell, so if they last 30 years squirell hunting they will last 30 years hunting DG!!

In the 25 years i lived and hunted in Alaska, i depended on a 700 Rem. action for my DG rifle even when i was going in the alder thickets after a wounded brown bear.... I have 100% faith in my 700 as a DG rifle, and the extractor/bolt "so called" problem is a bunch of BS!!!

Yes an occasional rifle will have a problem, but i would NOT go to a gunshop and buy ANY brand of firearm, and head out in the field with it to hunt DG or any other animial, UNTILL that firearm shows me it's reliable "at the range" durning "many hours" of practice. Only then will it go to the field with me, "especially" as a DG gun....

My DG rifle still today works perfectly, and i wouldn't be afraid to head to Africa with it tomorrow!

DM
Old 10-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

It depends on what you are planing on shooting if you are going for any of the big 5 i would use .375 H&H like said before you can find this ammo any where. if you are hunting smaller planes game i would take your deer rifle i have seen every thing from a 75 lb spring buck to 1500lb eland taken with a 7MM so you dont have to have any huge calibers. Take a gun that you can shoot accuratly thats most important.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few of my pheasant hunters go to Africa every year on a Safari before coming to my place to hunt. They shoot all plains game normally, and they all shoot 7mm Rem Mags or 300 RUMs. They've never had a problem with wounding/losing any animals with those calibers.

If you are going to be hunting the dangerous stuff, I'd go for a 375 H&H myself. I've shot one a number of times and it was surprisingly easy on my shoulder. I'd compare the recoil to a 45/70 with more of a jolt than a slower push. The gun I shot in 375 was a Ruger #1.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

You wont find a bigger remington fan than me, but if you are honestly looking for something to use of african game, You'd be wise to go with a CRF action. .375 is the legal minumum in most african countries for DG,regardless you'd be wise to use that or more. The current hot gun for african hunting is the CZ-550 Safari Magnum, either the euro or american version. If it were my decision I'd go with the 458lott, as you can use 458win in a pinch, and it hits like a buick, but any of the calibers offered in the CZ Safari will do the trick.
I agree, totally.

Quick Reply: My gun for Africa....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.