Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 My gun for Africa.... >

My gun for Africa....

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My gun for Africa....

Old 10-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My gun for Africa....

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

As I said, nobody is a bigger remington 700 fan than myself, they are the best production deer, varmin tand target rifle IMO. But a DGR they are NOT. Reasons. Brazed bolt handle, bad extractor system (for dg), and a not so great ejector system (for dg). The last thing I would want chasing DG on another continent, in much warmer temps (and in turn, higher pressures), with big bore, high pressure loadings is a rifle that is not 100% to extract and eject, and one whose bolt hand might just come off if I yank on it to extract that sticky case.Africa is the onearena where the Mauser wins, every time, hands down. Dont take my word for it, www.accuratereloading.com

Yeah I agree the extractor on the 700 isn't the strongest. They do have a 798 that has a Mauser type claw extractor. They areconsiderably more exspensive though.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:00 PM

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

I just found this gun. I don't know if I can accurately shoot a 416 or bigger,so this looks like my best option.

Any opinions on what other caliber/gun I should get? Price is a major factor hence no spiffy $12,000 British double.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=58719751
[/align]
Take a gun your confidence is with...a 22 automatic with a belt feed...Do it then...A 30-06 steel jacket...it will drop an elephant with one shot...If your not confident in your arsinol,don't go hunting....steel jacket bullets..They used these in wars,The reason why, is it didn't kill the person and it took 2 to carry out a wounded,3 eliminated...Use a steel jacket in the 06..it will drop any animal alive...no shrap,no mushroom,straight thru...
[/align]
[/align]
Old 10-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah I agree the extractor on the 700 isn't the strongest. They do have a 798 that has a Mauser type claw extractor. They areconsiderably more exspensive though.
Compare the prices of the xcr and the 798.Yet again our scientist is wrong.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_798_specs.asp

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR_specs.asp
Old 10-19-2006, 11:55 PM

glad i'm not the only one to notice
Old 10-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Are you going to be shooting Plains Game or Dangerous Game? The Ideal calibers for Africa are .375 H&H or 9.3X62!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Compare the prices of the xcr and the 798.Yet again our scientist is wrong.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_798_specs.asp

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR_specs.asp
I wasn't talking about MSRP. Who sells for MSRP?

My dealer prices aren't that much different. Around $720 for the XCR. Have to check on the 798. I hope for my sake it's cheaper.

Better get your licks in when you can stubble...it doesn't happen often.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smokeman

Take a gun your confidence is with...a 22 automatic with a belt feed...Do it then...A 30-06 steel jacket...it will drop an elephant with one shot...If your not confident in your arsinol,don't go hunting....steel jacket bullets..They used these in wars,The reason why, is it didn't kill the person and it took 2 to carry out a wounded,3 eliminated...Use a steel jacket in the 06..it will drop any animal alive...no shrap,no mushroom,straight thru...

[/align]
NOt sure what you're trying to say but I'm not going to Africa with a 30-06.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Are you going to be shooting Plains Game or Dangerous Game? The Ideal calibers for Africa are .375 H&H or 9.3X62!
375 Rem ultra mag outperforms H&H that is the only reason I'm considering it. SOme valid points have been made regarding the availability of .375 H&H though.

i'm not sure where I'll be going or what I'll be doing. I can tell you I have no desire to shoot an elephant but proably anything else.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brutal,
I have never hunted africa and probaly never will.I do how ever have the guns,If I was going to.

If I could only take just one it would be the .416 Rem mag.Shoots flat enough for plains game and carries enough energy for the biggest of beasts.The recoil is not as much as one would think and probaly be on par with the .375 RUM.
You wouldn't be to under guned with the 375 H&H or the 458 Lott(give you the option of shooting 458 win mag in a pinch).
Good luck
BBJ
Old 10-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

Brutal,
I have never hunted africa and probaly never will.I do how ever have the guns,If I was going to.

If I could only take just one it would be the .416 Rem mag.Shoots flat enough for plains game and carries enough energy for the biggest of beasts.The recoil is not as much as one would think and probaly be on par with the .375 RUM.
You wouldn't be to under guned with the 375 H&H or the 458 Lott(give you the option of shooting 458 win mag in a pinch).
Good luck
BBJ
thanks for the advice. I would like to take as much gun as I can possibly shoot reliably. I just wish I knew someone around here that had one so I could shoot it.

Quick Reply: My gun for Africa....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.