Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking at possible first guns. >

Looking at possible first guns.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking at possible first guns.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Looking at possible first guns.

Isn't most of New York a shotgun only area?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:41 PM

Let's see... You can use rifles in most of the western part of the state. Not much very close to where I am, but I will have my truck up here by the time I have a rifle so that shouldn't be a problem. And I intend to hunt in Pennsylvania on breaks once I have my own firearms, as that must be better than Jersey.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:00 PM

If I were in the market for my first shotgun, I'd definately go with the Stoeger. Go to a gun shop and compare it to other pumps in the same price range or even pumps that are double the price. You'll fall in love. It's way nicer than my Mossberg 500. My 500 is a great gun though. Plus, the Stoeger P-350 can shoot any shotgun shell. 2-3/4", 3" and 3.5". My 500 can't shoot the 3.5" shells.

For a rifle, you just can't go wring with a 30-06. I've been looking around for one myself. Any time I need a rifle, I borrow my stepdad's gun. But I recently got into hog hunting and am going to get my own rifle. I think that just about any rifle out there will be a good one. Personally, my favorite rifle I've looked at is the Remington 700 BDL. You can hold it and tell that it's a really nice quality gun. I also like the Weatherby. It's so pretty, I'd hate to take it in the woods and scratch it up! Another nice gun is the Browning A-bolt. I don't think it's all that great looking, but on the bolt action, it only has a 60 degree bolt throw as opposed to a 90 degree throw like most other bolt actions. The 60 degree would be great for a gun with a scope. A .300 Win-Mag is a great gun too. Maybe a bit overkill for some things, but it won't kill anything deader than a 30-06 will. Ammo costs more for the .300 and sometimes your selections are less. I'd still say you should buy a 30-06, but you'd be happy with a 300 as well. There's nothing in NJ that you can't hunt with a 30-06.

NJ is one of the worst states for guns and hunting. They sure know how to make everything a real pain in the ass. I grew up in Oklahoma and was used to how relaxed the gun laws are here. I was stationed at McGuire AFB in NJ for a few years and those gun laws drove me crazy! I didn't do any hunting when I was there. Their rule on .22 ammo is rediculous. I forgot about that until you mentioned it. I think that California comes up with some stupid new gun law and New Jersey follows suit. Ugh.

Now I'm stationed in Oklahoma. Gun laws here are great. As long as you're 18, not a felon and you have cash, you can buy anything you want. If you go to a gun show here, nobody asks any questions about anything as long as you have the cash.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:33 PM

Another vote for the .30-06
Old 10-18-2006, 07:49 PM

Alright, after looking at the Stoeger P-350 it really looks nice for the price. I wonder though, is a rifled slug barrel available for it? If not, then does anyone know how their autoloader, the Model 2000, is? I figure I'd use this in non-rifle zones in New Jersey and New York, and buckshot just seems really messy and underpowered to me. From my browsing around, these are the guns I'm currently looking at:

Shotguns (12 Gauge)
Benelli: Super Black Eagle II
Mossberg: Model 500 Field
Remington: Model 870 Express Combo, Model 870 Wingmaster, Model 1100 Classic Field, Model 105CTi
Stoeger: Model 2000, P-350

Rifles (.30-06 or .300 Winmag)
Browning: BAR LongTrac
CZ: 550 American, 550 FS
Mauser: K98
Remington: Model 700 CDL, Model 700 SPS, Model 798
Ruger: M77 International, M77 Standard
Savage: 110GXP3
Springfield: M1 Garand, M1903
Winchester: Model 70 Classic

Is there anything there that I shoudln't consider?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pickerel....I'd lookinto getting my own place first....youve got troubles son and the GUN is only gonna make things worse..Your folks wont let you bring a GUN in their house..trust this....that $1800 is your way out.
If leaving is not an option...dont get the GUN!! GUNS can ruin a family...Go to CANCUN for spring break and live it up...Dont forget to get your folks something nice....

you can use friends shotgun....shotgun is ok everywhere in
NY except in Bow Only and Closedareas

Old 10-19-2006, 06:28 PM

I have seen examples of the Neew Savage American Classic Rifle. It is a beautiful walnut stocked rifle with Savages reputation for exceptional accuracy. Should be around 550.
You can also get a Remington 700. Hard to beat a 700.
As for shotguns, I have been very impressed with CZ shotguns. Also check out Franchi and Beretta
Old 10-19-2006, 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

Pickerel....I'd lookinto getting my own place first....youve got troubles son and the GUN is only gonna make things worse..Your folks wont let you bring a GUN in their house..trust this....that $1800 is your way out.
If leaving is not an option...dont get the GUN!! GUNS can ruin a family...Go to CANCUN for spring break and live it up...Dont forget to get your folks something nice....
I don't really have anything else I can use it for. I am definitely getting an apartment off campus next year, which should only coast me at most $350 per month as I'll be splitting it at least one way. There's no way I could get one in Jersey, though. It'd cost me eight hundred dollars for a crappy apartment in downtown Trenton. And if I spent my money on an apartment there, then I would have needed that money to get a gun for self defense! As for the spring break idea, that isn't my idea of one. I am not one for partying or drinking or anything of that sort. I'm one to just be in the woods or on a river or lake. Also, I wouldn't get my folks something nice, as I won't do something for them they wouldn't do for me, which isn't all that much.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:30 PM

Used guns can be a great value. If you're buying new, tell me what you want and let me quote you a price, I'll treat you right. Check me out on gunbroker.com, I'm usmc1978. Or, e-mail me at corps39@hotmail.

whatever you do, good luck and welcome. Your next job is to get your parents on board!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

I’m with Pickerel. That partying, and all that stuff is a waste of a good spring time. I'm not saying drinking and all that is bad or whatever, just I would rather make a hunting/fishing trip rather then a Cancun trip. At least you will gain more from the hunting/fishing trip. That’s just what I think. As far as you gun selections, here are my thoughts.

Rifle- Remington 700 (ADL or SPS) It will shoot better then you think and I don’t see the reason for super high priced rifles. My ADL in the 7 mag shoots clover groups at 100 and holds sub MOA out to 400, (that’s as far as I have tested it.) Put a good scope on it. I recommend the Nikon Prostaff or Buckmaster. (I have the Prostaff 3-9X40 with the BDC) As for caliber, the 300 win mag is a great all around choice. I personally prefer the 7 mag. That’s just me though.

Shotgun- Either a Remington 870 (3-1/2") or the Mossberg 835. Both very simplistic as far a shotguns go and they both shoulder really nice. That’s what I recommend

Quick Reply: Looking at possible first guns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.