HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   new hunter seeking advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/159898-new-hunter-seeking-advice.html)

mdavis166 10-16-2006 01:22 AM

new hunter seeking advice

Alright I know this type question problably gets asked around here quitefrequently but I would really appreciate it if I could get some opinions.
Over the lastyear I have developed an interest infirearms and hunting and bought my first shotgun, 12gauge remington 870, and a ruger 10/22 rifle last winter. I have been mainly shooting clays and plinkin. I am looking forward to getting a high powered bolt action rifle this fall. My question is what would be the best all around caliber bullet and which gun to pair it with. I am 19 years old 5' 8"150 pounds, mostly will be using it for deer but the opprutunity to kill large varmintmay arrise as well. I'm looking for a round with medium to low recoil, something acceptable for a first deer rifle. Weight should be managable as I will find mself more often than not navagating the virginian wooded hills with little level ground. I want to be confident that, with a good shot, I wont have to track the deer very far waiting for it to pass away. However I dont want too much power if If find mself in a situation where I'm hunting coyotes, small bore, and other's in this category.
Here is what looks to be my options
.243 100g
7mm-08 Rem
.270130g
30-30
30-06 150g

I have heard that savage makes a good quality low priced rifle.
Winchester 700 series looks like a popular choice too.
Here is one that I have found more in my price.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2684994
Thanks for any help and look forward to hearing back from you guys.
Matt

Deleted User 10-16-2006 01:46 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Deleted User 10-16-2006 02:27 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

cartman308 10-16-2006 02:47 AM

RE: new hunter seeking advice

Savage make EXCELLENT rifles for the price! They shoot as accuraly and more often than not will me MORE accurate than rifles costing 2 times as much. Savage makes an exellent choice for first, second or third or any rifle.

As far as caliber. 270 will be easiest to find ammo for but the 7mm-08 is also an excellent choice. It has something of a cult following. I personally prefer .30 cal bullets but the 270, and 7mm would work better for medium to larger varmints (foxes, yotes). They would cause less damage, if that is an issue. If you just want them dead....the .30 cals are better but more brutal on targets and shooters.

The smaller the caliber selected the more crutial shot placement becomes. Placement is ALWAYS important, but with marginally placed shots the .30 caliber bullets will cover a bit better. But like i said above .30cals kick harder. The .243 winchester is the smallest caliber I'd suggest for deer. Personally the smallest i'll use is the .260.

Good luck! Guns and hunting are addictions that so far no cure has been found for. Asside from death.

Montana Bob 10-16-2006 07:14 AM

Savage makes a fine accurate bolt actionrifle. My first big game rifle was the Savage Model 110 chambered in 270.
Every year around hunting season they offer a package deal with the Model 110 and a 3x9Burris or similar for around $375.
The 270 is hard to beat for cartridge selection.

ipscshooter 10-16-2006 08:57 AM

Remington Model 7, 7mm-08. Accurate, dependable, plenty of power for deer but not overkill for varminting, light weight for carrying around in the hills, light to moderate recoil, price about the same as the Savage you listed. Fits every parameter you laid out. End of discussion...

James B 10-16-2006 10:45 AM

Calibers that fit what you want are the 260, 6.5x55, 7mm-08, 270, 25-06 and 280. Any of these will give you ample power for deer and varmits with reasonable recoil. The Savage and Remington SPS rifles represent about the best value IMO. Get a good scope for it and your set. MOST package rifle scopes are not real good quality scopes. Those with Nikon scopes might be an exception to that rule.

DM 10-16-2006 12:19 PM

I like the fact that the 7-08's arechambered in short action rifles, so that's my pick... I don't think there's a better all around fairly low recoiling deer/blk. bear cartridge made...

DM

Doe Dumper 10-16-2006 09:29 PM

Im gonna say flip a coin between the 270 and the 7-08. 7-08 has a tad less recoil and the 270 has a tad more power....may as well be ballistic twins and would serve your purpose almost perfectly..

handloader1 10-16-2006 11:28 PM

.270 Win. Good luck.