HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   RUGER TRIGGERS (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/159565-ruger-triggers.html)

heeze gutshot shortee 10-13-2006 04:29 PM

RUGER TRIGGERS

Nearly every comment about Ruger sayz....you got to get the trigger worked on....IS THIS ALOT OF HYPE?? Are we hung up on nothing? One can redo triggers on almost any gun...BUT..will it truly be a better gun??Can triggers be worked on and work against you???

Deleted User 10-13-2006 05:38 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

48thguns 10-13-2006 06:02 PM

RE: RUGER TRIGGERS

For some folks....heavy triggers don't amount to much. For me, however, I shoot much better with a 3 pound trigger. For benchrest shooters it becomes extremely important. My brother has a Ruger 270 and invested about $100 in the trigger and installation and it was money well spent. I understand Ruger is installing an adjustable trigger in their new rifles.......about time! Regards, Rick.

stubblejumper 10-13-2006 06:22 PM

The trigger makes no difference in the end, look at some of the world's greatest snipers, did they have their triggers customized? no, trigger setting is just another unneccesary accomodation people pay money for.
Actually one consideration when picking a rifle for sniper duty is that it has a decent trigger that will allow good accuracy.I have only owned one ruger 77 myself and I found that the trigger was less than desireable.

Deleted User 10-13-2006 06:34 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

c j 10-13-2006 06:45 PM

I just bought a new Ruger M77 25-06 a few months ago, fully expecting to have to pay for trigger work. But the factory trigger was excellent.

Whether mine was the exception or Ruger is equipping the new ones with better triggers, I don't know. Hopefully the latter.

James B 10-13-2006 07:33 PM

Most Ruger NEED NEED NEED trigger work. You can't shoot a rifle well if it has a crumby trigger. To me NOTHING effects accurate shooting more than the trigger pull. I have had about ten Ruger rifles. As I recall only one had a decent tigger from the box. Ruger Varmit rifles come with adjustable triggers the rest need to be smoothed up and stoned to perfection. 40-60 dollars will usually do the job. I like Ruger rifles but will usually buy Remington because I can adjust the triggers myself. Better yet The Savage accu-trigger is beyond belief. (GOOD)

longrifle1000 10-13-2006 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Magnum_Man_300

The trigger makes no difference in the end, look at some of the world's greatest snipers, did they have their triggers customized? no, trigger setting is just another unneccesary accomodation people pay money for.

I guarantee their are no snipers in the real world using a rifle with a 6 pound, scratchy, gritty, lawyer trigger. Heck, even The sharp shooter at our Sheriff's department has a 308 with a 1 1/2 pound trigger that feels glass smooth.

A good trigger is something you definitely want if accuracy is your main goal. Most hunting rifles, that won't be shot at longs distances are fine as they are.

I have had three Ruger rifles. I had two of them worked on. They were not lowered too much, but mainly smoothed out a bit. I don't like a gritty trigger with lots of creep. If it is around 4-5 pounds, and breaks cleanly, I am a happy camper.JMHO of course.

Deleted User 10-13-2006 11:11 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

eldeguello 10-14-2006 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

Nearly every comment about Ruger sayz....you got to get the trigger worked on....IS THIS ALOT OF HYPE?? Are we hung up on nothing? One can redo triggers on almost any gun...BUT..will it truly be a better gun??Can triggers be worked on and work against you???

I doubt it. I guess the question of whether it pays to have trigger work done depends on how bad the trigger is to begin with. If the pull suits you, why fool with it? But if the trigger prevents you from doing good shooting, or you just don't like the way it feels, get it fixed, if possible! I say "if possible" advisedly, because I have come across a few that could not be fixed-they had to be replaced! But I have also had a couple of issue Mausers (one a 1909 Argentine) that had wonderful triggers despite being double-stage military models.

I have one Ruger No. 1H in .375 H&H that has a trigger that I just never liked the way it felt. I've had it worked on a couple of times, and the pull is now #3, but it still feels "mushy", and I still don't like it. The rest of my No. 1's have good triggers (the best is a Canjar Single Set, but I use it unset-it's great!)

For those who use a lot of different rifles, I believe it is helpful to have all your triggers set as close to identical as possible, so you don't have to re-acquaint yourself with each one when switching....