Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 advice on 7mm-08 >

advice on 7mm-08

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

advice on 7mm-08

Old 09-28-2006, 05:12 AM
Spike

Default RE: advice on 7mm-08

Hello Jester,

Just my 2 cents: shop around before you buy - that's half the fun of getting a new gun. I own a Tikka T# Lite stainless in 7mm-08. Great cartridge, and an excellent rifle. 1 MOA out of the box. There have been numerous threads on this subject. Good luck on your choice.

Joe
Old 09-28-2006, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

My grandpa owns a savage in 22-250, and it's very accurate.

The big problem is, that the action is by no means smooth. You have to slap the bolt up to get it into postition. It also has problems chambering, because the fixed magazine is too big, so feeding can be rather pathetic. In the woods, you're probably only going to fire one shot, so it really doesn't matter there, but in the range, it gets pretty aggravating. I still like it though, like I stated earlier, it has great accuracy.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:26 AM

JoeBHunting - sounds like a nice rifle.Not sure but tikka sounds foreign to me(is it?).Want my hard earned U.S.A. dollars to stay in the U.S.A.!!!!!!!!---------jester68
Old 09-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

I have the 7mm-08 with the Savage rifle package. As far as i am concerned it's my favorite caliber for deer. Awsome choice, and the rifle isn't to bad either. Mine has been accurate with almost every choice of ammo i put thru it. And that was right out of the box.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:14 AM

semi - Most encouraging reply,thanks!BTW,what model is your rifle-and how much did you pay?-----jester68
Old 09-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would look at the Rem Mdl 7 in 7mm-08 its a great light,easy to manuver rifle.I don't realy like the 7mm-08,but that is my choice.I opt for the bigger package in the 280 rem.But for what your doing it should serve you good.
Have you thought of glass for it?If not I would recomend the a 2-7 power in a Burris,Bushnel Elite or Simmons Master series.
BBJ
Old 09-28-2006, 08:50 AM

BareBack Jack - The scope i decided on(so far)is the burris fullfieldII 3-9x40 ballistic plex.-----jester68
Old 09-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: jester68

JoeBHunting - sounds like a nice rifle.Not sure but tikka sounds foreign to me(is it?).Want my hard earned U.S.A. dollars to stay in the U.S.A.!!!!!!!!---------jester68

Hey Jester - a noble intent indeed. I have been in the manufacturing business for over 20 years. "MADE IN THE USA" doesn't have the same meaning it used to. Ford, has manufacturing plants all over the world, while it is closing plants, and laying off thousands of workers in the US. Honda has plants in Maryland. Honda is keeping thousands of Americans employed - not just at the plant, but all the supporting jobs as well, from parts suppliers to the mom and pop deli next to the assembly plant. Manufacturing is now global.Most everything you buy is a melting pot fromall countries. I'm not saying I like it, it's just how it is. My Tikka is made in Finland, and distributed by Beretta - and they provide jobs for thousands of Americans. I'm former Navy, and nobody is more pro-US than I am.

I don't mean to be long winded, but, unfortunately, it's not like the good old days when 'MADE IN AMERICA" meant something.

Joe
Old 09-28-2006, 10:54 AM

Hello Jester68,

In my opinion: the 7mm-08 would be a great round for your purpose. A 6.5x55 Swede would also be a good choice.

The Tikka T3 rifle is one of the best values on the market. It has an adjustable trigger down to 2lbs, a free floating barrell and fine craftmanship.

Welcome to the community!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

jester.. i think its the Model 10GXP3 – with AccuTrigger package. Came with a sling and Simmons scope 3x9. Got the whole package for about $325 brand new.

as mentioned about, the action isn't as smooth as my winchester M70 shadow, but it needs to be worn in a little bit. It's never let me down in the field or the range as it cycles every time. To me, it was well worth the money i paid for it 2 years ago. I can't say enough about the accuracy either. Savage makes some very nice shooters. right out of the box it was damn near sighted in which amazed me. It also has the accutrigger which i am very fond of. add the accuracy with the 7mm-08 and you have the perfect deer rifle in my opinion.

Quick Reply: advice on 7mm-08

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.