Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How often to clean guns? >

How often to clean guns?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How often to clean guns?

Old 09-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Spike

Default How often to clean guns?

Hey guys. I'm relatively new to guns having only owned them for a year or two. I've got a Remington 870
and a Yugo SKS. Pretty soon I'm going to be purchasing anther bolt action rifle for larger game hunting. I always take extremely good care of my guns but it seems that I am spending too much time cleaning them. I usually clean than after each day shooting or at the field. For the shotgun thats around 150 rounds and for my SKS only like 60. For both these weapons (all guns in general) how often should you clean them? The shotgun isn't bad to clean but the sks is a nightmare since it's gas operated. I did plan on also purchasing a semi auto shotty some time in the future but I'm going to have to say I'm almost steering away from owning another gas operated gun because they are so annoying to clean. Should you always clean guns after shooting them regarldess of how many rounds? Is it bad to store a dirty gun? Can you always OVER oil guns? I use a lot of oil to protect from rust especially the 870. I know these are some dumb questions but I have to learn sometime lol
Old 09-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How often to clean guns?

I will usually clean them out (pistols) after every trip to the range. If I had the gun stored since last year, say rifle or shotgun, something that I only will shoot in the mid summer and fall of the year, and not at the range monthly, I will clean those out before shooting them, and then once again after being at the range. Friends say it might be a bit much, but I have loads of cleaning supplies to last into the next decade, and I just like my guns to be squeaky clean.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Spike

Well for my 870 shotty. Should I clean the barrel and receiver after every outing? Shooting say 150 rounds? Is it ok to store guns dirty? Will it damage them considering they are modern and shoot non corrosive ammo.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:12 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: jtatarin

Well for my 870 shotty. Should I clean the barrel and receiver after every outing? Shooting say 150 rounds? Is it ok to store guns dirty? Will it damage them considering they are modern and shoot non corrosive ammo.
Its not good to leave copper fouling or even powder fouling in a gun for extended periods of time. Copper fouling can pit the bore over time.

But the 870, after 150 rounds, you need to at least clean out the barrel. I don't clean my 870 action but maybe once every 2 years.

If I duck hunt alot with my gas semis, I clean the actions maybe twice a season.

But each time you go out you need to get the fouling out, unless you know your going to hunt with it within a month or two.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My gunsmithinsists that I clean my rifle after every 5-10 shots. You never leave a gun dirty or put a dirty gun away. Copper fouling and powder can cause your barrel to rust and do permanent damage to your gun.

Also, you MUST oil the bore of your guns after they are completely cleaned of fouling. This prevents rust.

Yes you can over oil a gun. Oil attracts dust and dirt and over oiling can easily lead to a gummed up action. If you use oil you should only use a light coating and wipe off the excess. However, I prefer to not use oil. I like to use a graphite or wax based lubicant on the moving parts so as to avoid attracting dust and dirt.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do not oil trigger assemblies because it attracts dust and they gum up which can lead to a dangerous situation.Do not fire rifles with oil in the bore.Dry swab them before firing them.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do not fire rifles with oil in the bore.Dry swab them before firing them.
I like using the bore snake at the range to remove any excessive oil before firing. Does a good job...
Old 09-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need to swab your bore. Just don't dump oil down it. Take a bore mop and lightly coat the inside of the bore with oil, no swabbing dry is needed.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Flame away, but I don't clean guns unless they are real dirty, accuracy has gone to hell, they got wet, or I'm not planning on shooting them for several months.
I used a 870 for trap for 10 seasons putting 400-500 rounds a week through it and never once cleaned it, unless I took it duck hunting. Never had a problem with it- ever. It has well over 100,000 rounds through it and is still going strong.
With rifles, I'll run a bore snake down the barrel after shooting them, wipe down the outside with sheath or rig. If I'm putting it away for more than a month, I'll give it a thorough cleaning to get the copper out. With rifles that I shoot cast bullets through, I never clean.

Autoloaders- my autoloading pistols and rifles get a bit more attention to keep carbon from building up in the gas system or bolt carrier group, and to keep the pistols running smooth.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:27 AM

Every time I shoot a gun it gets cleaned thoroughly. I also make sure to clean each and every gun I have one very thorough time during the late winter, non-hunting and usually too cold in MN to shoot season.

Quick Reply: How often to clean guns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.