HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   copper removal (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/157742-copper-removal.html)

sffguitar 09-24-2006 11:01 PM

copper removal

hey all. about two months ago I noticed some "rust in my rifling" so i tried gettin it out but it never came out....so I took it to the range shot the gun, and it shot fine. well the past couple weeks Ive been reading abot copper fouling and realized thats what the problem was in my gun. (Im kinda new to shooting; more or so gun maitenance.) so I spent all day trying to get it out with clp foam. and a little has come out, Im jst wondering how long it usaully takes to get it allout and maybe some of the tricks of the trade. thanks

stubblejumper 09-24-2006 11:10 PM

RE: copper removal

Copper removal is fairly easy and quick if you use barnes cr-10.Another method is to use jb paste,but this takes someelbow grease.

early 09-25-2006 02:54 AM

i use 'shooter's choice copper remover' (it has amonia in it)

i like the amonia type removers cuz i can tell when its clean by lookin at the patches

when they don't turn blue/green its clean

alwayls follow up with plain solvent to remove the copper remover from the bore, and lightly oil b4 storage

early

ranger140892 09-25-2006 05:20 AM

I like CR 10 too. It's the only copper remover I know of that works just like the directions on the back of the bottle says.But I don't use it every time. There's no need to totally de-copper the bore every time you clean it.

bigcountry 09-25-2006 06:34 AM

First off, you got to have a good stiff one piece cleaning rod. Don't use three piece. Second, get you some Sweets. I always come back to it. CR10 is good but man its rough on a barrel. Rough on my dewey rods. Follwo the directions. Leave it in there too long, and it will rust the barrel. Very hydroscopic. With barrel burners like 300RUM's and stuff, it may take several 30 stroke scrub cycles to get it out. Rough barrels, might take an hour.

I follow it up with some decent break cleaner. I want all that stuff out.

Or,

I have been using wipeout with awesome results. It has an oil agent in there, so you can leave it in there for days and it won't draw moisture but will eat out copper. I first clean out powder with shooters choice, and then spray in wipeout, let it sit for 3 hours, come back and clean out and let it sit overnight. Usually thats all it takes.

Or,

Outers foul out copper removal tool. It does work.

Solitary Man 09-25-2006 08:43 AM

I've never had a problem using CR-10. However, Montana Extreme 50BMG is better than CR-10, Sweets, Wipeout and anything else I've ever used for copper fouling. The only problem with it, if you can call it a problem, is that you absolutely must use it in a well ventilated area. It is mucho strong stuff. Of course, I always clean out powder fouling first (with Shooters Choice/Kroil blend) before I try to clean for copper.

I like Wipeout too because as bigcountry said, you can leave it in the bore for a long time with no problems. Actually, you HAVE to leave it in the bore for a long time for it to work properly. For a quicker cleaning 50BMG is the ticket.

mistahmojoryan 09-25-2006 04:19 PM

Does anyone use CR-10 or Sweet's followed by peroxide? I read that it reacts with the ammonia and removes the copper quicker than with CR-10 or Sweet's alone. Never tried it myself but I was thinking about it.

stubblejumper 09-25-2006 05:09 PM

Does anyone use CR-10 or Sweet's followed by peroxide? I read that it reacts with the ammonia and removes the copper quicker than with CR-10 or Sweet's alone. Never tried it myself but I was thinking about it
Be careful what chemicals you mix,as some combinations could do harm to your barrel.Besides,if you use cr-10 on a regular basis ,it doesn't take that long to rid a barrel of copper.

mistahmojoryan 09-25-2006 05:38 PM

Be careful what chemicals you mix,as some combinations could do harm to your barrel.Besides,if you use cr-10 on a regular basis ,it doesn't take that long to rid a barrel of copper.
I wasn't sure if it was harmful...that's one of the reasons I was asking (though I was more concerned with my lungs than the barrel ;) ).

I haven't cleaned copper out of my 300WM for about 80rds and accuracy remains excellent. In fact, I just punched out a 1.25" group at 300yds a couple days ago. Never did that through a clean barrel so I'm not anxious to change anything yet.

stubblejumper 09-25-2006 05:58 PM

The biggest problem that people have with copper removal,is that they don't do it often enough and it builds up and becomes much more difficult and time comsuming to remove.