Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Trading 22-250 for a deer cartridge??? >

Trading 22-250 for a deer cartridge???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Trading 22-250 for a deer cartridge???

Old 09-14-2006, 10:52 AM

Default RE: Trading 22-250 for a deer cartridge???

ORIGINAL: James B

Anything the 243 will do, the 25-06 will do better. In your case I can't imagine a better choice. The 25-06 will perform both varmit and deer duties with just a 100 grain bullet. Load the Nosler Ballistic tip for varmits and the Nosler Partition for deer. Never have to change bullet weights. I have had fantastic results with just the 100 grain Ballistic tip for all duties.

A also agree.

Either of the calibers you listed would do. Personally, the .270, .308, and 25/06 would be my choices.

The .308 is a awesome deer round, but the 165gr + bullets could be a little much for varmints. The .270 is one of the most popular deer rounds in history (which is what I shoot). The 25/06 as said would fit you perfect. My cousin has one and he loves his. Great for deer and shoots flat and gives you more power than a .243, but not much "over kill" for varmints.

I am also a lefty. Check out the Savage line up. They have more lefty models than anyone and from what I have been reading over the past year, they are top notch rifles. I've read several posts where guys stated that their buddy's Savage was more accurate than their A-bolt and ruger.

Probably by next deer season I will buy a new rifle and it is going to be the Savage Weather something ( can't remember the name). In .308win. And its a lefty. Good luck and let us know what you get.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:15 AM

Thanks guys...I was starting to lean to the 7mm-08 (I'm considering it a short action 270. I do realize 7mm a tad larger bullet...but there's better selection for reloading) Now I'm back to giving the .243 a hard look. Local shop has a BLR like new with burris scope for 550 (.243) I'll check Gander mountain on my home this weekend

nchawkeye: I'm at school in Murray, Ky. I'm from southern Illinois (so.+Il.+Archery=soilarch) I've handloaded some 60gr partitions for my 22-250 Have yet to try them but think they would do alright...except I can't even get 2moa out of 'em. Tried the winchester 64gr powerpoints...and at 150yards they're still flying straight, but tumble after going through on side of a cardboard box. (Don't know a whole lot of external ballistics but this makes me think they'll start tumbling soon after 150) WHY are the 700s 1-in-14" GAARRGHH!!!??? Oh, and I tried plain-jane factory 22-250...thinking 'hey its only 55gr but its still carrying 308-level energy...keep thinks inside 100yards that should be fine" Well, in the heat of the moment I forgot that it was ALSO a head-shot only scenario. Very ugly and I lost some amount of sleep knowing there was 'jellied' deer somewhere out there in a world of hurt.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Many 22-250 will not stabalize the heavier bullet. You might try the 53 grain Barnes X which is made for deer hunting as well. Also check and see if the 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws are loaded or available for reloading. This is also an excellent tough bullet which works well for deer. Myself, I think the 243 and 22-250, both with the right bullets, is a toss-up.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:19 PM

I seen a guy shoot a young buck with a 22-250 at about 150yds. It blew his whole shoulder out BUT the deer still ran. They had to run it down with the shotgun and finish it off. That right there turned me totally off of the idea of shooting a deer with a 22-250.[:@]
Old 09-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some may say that the .22 CF's would do, others would say that the .243/6MM is not enough for deer.
When I say "minimum" with the .243/6MM, I am saying that it is VERY well suited for Whitetail! Not just a "maybe!"
Using the right bullets for the job at hand, the .243/6MM is the perfect minimum for ANY Whitetail! With good 100 gr. bullets, and decent shooting it will do a good job on any Whitetail! With lighter bullets, it is an excellent varmint cartridge!
For a varmint/Whitetail combination cartridge (without over-kill) it is about the best there is! The .25-06 is great to, with slight over-kill on the varmint side! (BTW, I have absolutely nothing against over-kill!)
Old 09-18-2006, 11:46 PM

I would buy a .243 wssm. with thesupreme 95 gr ballistic silver tip bullet this load stops deer in their tracks.I also have a .223 wssm and never had a deer run over 40 yds.Both my rifles are Winchester model 70's there are still some out there for sale.The buck that ran 40yds dressed at 210 lbs and was shot with the 223 wssm 55gr.silver tip.These two rifles are great on deer and withthe premium bullets really do some damage.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:34 AM

I am from WV and we have much the same terrain and shot opportunities I suppose, depending on what part of Ky. you are in. First let say that If you want a new gun then by all means do some trading. I would look at the Savages with the accutrigger, it is a great gun for the money. Second as far as caliber I would say if you like the gun you have use it. I was one that scoffed at folks carrying .22 centerfires for many years, even as they dropped deer after deer. I was a magnum man. I had deer run off a short way with holes though lungs and little internal damage. My son started wanting to hunt at age 5. A guy loaned me a little Rem 600 in 222 and he smoked a doe at just over 120yds. It literally fell on its legs and was dead on it's belly. I got a savage mod. 111 (before they made short actions) and he went on to take 13 more deer with it. He has since moved on to bigger calibers up to the Weatherby Mags...wanna guess what his favorite calibers are? .243 and 22-250. My daughter now uses that Savage and she has taken 8 whitetails from 146yds up to 491yds w/my laser rangefinder. All dramatic one shot kills. Not one deer ever left our sight. Even a paunch hit my son made at age 7, hit the dirt. The load is handloaded 55gr Nosler Ballistic tips....every single one. I have gone on to take other whitetails with a .22-250 handgun and just recently picked up a .22-250 Encore barrel that I won't feel a bit undergunned with.
I have everything from the .22 centerfires to STW's and big bores. I now carry nothing bigger than .243 for WV whitetails. I must say my favorite all time 25-06 was my favorite ever, it was my first and I just got another one that may be getting some woods time soon.

Good Luck,

Dave
Old 09-19-2006, 09:50 AM

25-06 is what you're looking for.

243 would do nicely if you find a deal.

stay away from the wssm line. They are nothing but trouble.

Never hunt deer with your 22-250. first off it probably illegal. Most states that allow CF hunting have a minimum of 6mm. Second it is inadequate.

7mm-08 is a sweet rifle but probably a bit much for the coyotes. But dead is dead.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:48 PM

This question is for ShatoDavis.What kind of trouble did you have with the wssm line of rifles?I own 2 and never had a problem and they stop deer in their tracks.Do you own a wssm?Or you going by what others have told you about them.I really like my model 70Winchester's in the wssm line.
Just want to know what you do not like about them?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: winchester.243wssm

Just want to know what you do not like about them?
Well, to answer your question as best I can. Its the necks. They are too hard. I have seen guns that will not seal properly in the chamber. I've owned one. Now I'm talking about the WSSM not WSM. I've owned or own both a 300 wsm and 270 wsm. Those are terrific rounds. Winchester just missed on the WSSM's. I'm glad that your weapon is working out well for you and I certainly hope that it continues to. I had one gentleman tell me that the problem was a bad run of ammo, but it was enough to turn me away for good.

Quick Reply: Trading 22-250 for a deer cartridge???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.