Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why bluing ? >

Why bluing ?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why bluing ?

Old 09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why bluing ?

Why do guns come with blued finishes ? I mean bluing is so delicate, just finger prints cause guns to rust. Why cant other finishes be aplied. Could they be powder coated black or in colors. Even painted ?Why do westill have blued finishes ? Isnt there something better ?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why bluing ?

You have them teflon coated to protect them. Theres others also. If it was left bare, it would rust almost instantly with a fingerprint.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:58 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Why do guns come with blued finishes ? I mean bluing is so delicate, just finger prints cause guns to rust. Why cant other finishes be aplied. Could they be powder coated black or in colors. Even painted ?Why do westill have blued finishes ? Isnt there something better ?
Lots and lots of em out there much better. But not everyone likes parkerizing, diamond coat, or teflon. Cant' get the bling with them like you can blue.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why: production cost and demand. Anything better? Stainless Steel. Custom work such as teflon, etc are options you can explore.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:03 PM

There are many other finishes out there.
http:// www.lauerweaponry.com
Offers DuraCoat which is basically a painted on finish.
Kimber, springfield and few others offer a duracoat like finish on their handguns.

There are many others out there and I am not going to debate which is better, they are all basically the same and prevent rust by providing a barrier between the weather and the steel.

Blueing is more of a cosmetic finish than a form of protection, it is a form of rust in itself and really offers no corrosion protection, but looks nice.

The military parkerizes most of their weapons, this leaves a semi rough surface that sucks up and holds oil to protect the metal (this is also a good "primer" for the Duracoat type finishes).

Do a Google search on gun finishes or you can pickup a fairly cheap book on metal finishing or browse through Midway or Brownells web sites for metal finish options to get a taste of what is out there for free.

Are you looking for anything in particular? Blueing is fairly cheap to do in batches and is the typical finish most people have come to expect, I suspect that is why it is so comon.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use stainless myself,but powder coating works well as does teflon.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 PM

Tradition, be surprised how many guns sold by looks.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even painted ?
The Indian Ishapore armory painted the metal of the Enfields they produced. Most of the rifles being 30-60 years old look like crap as cleaning solvents soften the pain and the paint flakes off from wear.

Nothing wrong with blueing, if you take care of your firearms. If you leave your guns bouncing around in the back ofyour pickup truck or are apt to leave it laying out side in the rain overnight, blueing is not hte finish you want.Contrary to what some posters have stated, blueing does offer pretty good rust protection so long as you don't expose it to salt water and wipe your greasy (salty)prints off after handling it. Even stainless will rust under the same conditions, but it takes longer.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:40 AM

Contrary to what some posters have stated, blueing does offer pretty good rust protection so long as you don't expose it to salt water and wipe your greasy (salty)prints off after handling it.
So basically no real corrosion protection.
I have never read, never been taught, and never have experienced bluing as a good corrosion inhibiter. If something has changed in the past hundred years please educate me but even professional hot bluing does not offer much in the way of corrosion protection. A freshly blued gun that is taken out of the final rinse tank and left exposed to the air will rust about as fast as bare metal, typically the gun is coated in oil and wrapped at least overnight. Bluing is basically coloring the metal, it offers possibly ever so slightly some corrosion protection but to no real degree, it is a finish for appearance.

Some people feel that the “high gloss” bluing offers better protection, this may or may not be true but the high gloss is not a result of bluing; you are looking at colored metal. IF the metal is polished and glossy before bluing, than it will appear as a high gloss blue, if rough like after bead blasting and you blue the metal it will be a matte appearance.

On that note you can keep bare metal from corrosion if you care for it. I know many who had the bolt bent on their mausers so a scope could be mounted, they left the bolt bare metal, it doesn’t rust easily, just wipe it down with a little oil once a month when not in use, same as a blued rifle especially but really for any rifle.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:21 AM
bigcountry

Actually it does have some corrosion protection. I had crown recut and put off cold blueing. Went hunting in the rain one day, the hot blue section had no corrosion but the bare metal had surface rust within an hour.

Both were oiled before hand, but definately shows the facts. Not sure where people get that it doesn't have any corrosion protection.

Quick Reply: Why bluing ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.