Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 corrosion problem >

corrosion problem

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

corrosion problem

Old 09-10-2006, 01:26 PM

Default corrosion problem

I live in a very dry climate, so i have never been too concerned about corrosion during storage. I wish I had a safe, but i dont have the money, so I store my several rifles in a spare bedroom. well, yesterday I pulled them all out and was horrified to see a significant dusting of rust on all but 2. Even the stainless ones had some rust.

I checked them abouta month ago, and everything was fine. So the rust appeared in the last couple of weeks. Is this normal? I got most of the rust spots off with rem-oil, so will there be any perm damage? How can i prevent it? I hate rust on my guns...i have 3 guns at my dad's house...i better call him and ask him to check for rust.

My biggest concern is what kind of damage the rust will do, and how to prevent/correct rusted guns.

Thanks,
PigDog
Old 09-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: corrosion problem

Check out those new copper treated gun socks and cases that are supposed to stop rust for at least 20 years(forgot the brand name). I also get a rag that comes in a jar called rustprufe at my trap range that works pretty good at preventing rust on the outside. Also if your not going to be using the gun for a long time you can try boeshield. It is a waxy spray on that leaves a thick wax likecoating over any part/gun but its too much for everyday use as its a pain to clean off. I use it onstuff that I may not see for ayear etc.hope it helps.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Damage will be pitting but varys greatly in extend, you said dusting and most spots came out with rem oil so doesn't sound to bad. The spots that didn't come take your rem oil and some 0000 steel wool- work in small cirlces the effected area and wipe clean. Effect for the future means unprotected portions of the guns (finish removed - bare steel). Solution always keep well oiled with decent light gun oil both for field and storage. When I re-appy during storage I wipe down the rifle with a clean cloth andthen re-apply the gun oil.

Storage you may want to look for dehumidifer for the the room in which the guns are kept. By any chance where they in a gun case? If so that can be a source of the troubles, you may consider putting them in a closet out of the case then installing a lock for safety. I store all mine in locked gun cabinets in the basement, if though I don't have humidity issues in my basement I have rods in the cabinets just in case. I oil while in storage as a precaution with Birch Casey's Sheath.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have cold, dry winters and warm humid growing seasons. So even if I have a firearm that I have not shot recently, I clean it completely each spring, and then again in the fall once the heating season starts. I keep my pieces each individually locked. Longarms muzzle down on carpet so steel has no contact with an outside wall. I do not store in cases as I had trouble with that in the past. If the rust is not bad, sometimes simple rub down with oil will fix it. I would keep my eye on that spot though. I use very light oil as a lube.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:16 PM

I keep them under a bed in the spare room, not in a case. Not sure why they rusted under there, but i think my oiling fixed most of it. I guess I have to check and oil more often.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Same here pretty dry a bit of the yr so notmuch concerned about rust ussally here either.(didnt know it was very dry in Wi )

That dehumidifer idea for other places tho sounds like a good.

And as others mentioned also they have silicon?/oil impregnated socks& covers etc. And chips, packs, cans etc that are rust inhibiters you stick into a safe

Not that its a real safe but atwalmart& other places they have gun cabnets- that are lockable & will keep children & causal thiefs that arein a hurry out of anyways& easyier to control the humidy in a smaller space.( About $100.00 for those)

Old 09-10-2006, 11:32 PM

Im actually living in interior alaska now...not SE WI anymore. Its always dry here. Very little humidity.

Thanks for all the help....got most of my questions answered...is ther any way to get at the portion of the barrel covered by the forarm?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

...is ther any way to get at the portion of the barrel covered by the forarm?
No not that i know of- other then taking them apart-removing the stock.

Alaska interior-& not Wi i see thanks.That makes sense i heard its pretty dry there yep- like a very cold desert. Semi arid here( some snow- not much rain)- with very dry summers.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:50 PM

The sad fact is that you need to at least wipe your guns down once a month or so. If storing for more than a few weeks run a wet patch of rust preventative down the barrel and leave it wet, run a dry patch through before firing and if possible do not store your rifles muzzle up. I invested in a big safe years ago and keep dry air circulating inside, I still need to wipe my guns off at least once every two months, it takes only a minute and can save a lot of heartbreak. For the little time it takes I say better safe than sorry, pick a date and go over your guns that night every month while watching American Idle[:'(]
Old 09-12-2006, 09:17 PM

This will sound odd, but there is a problem with over oiled guns, they collect dust. At first you think dust, dry, good. Actually bad, the dust will trap moisture, hold it.

I keep guns in myhome and just look them over often, keeping dust off.

Something you said though makes me curious, 304, 309 stainless will surface rust, but not usualy bad. Is it possible an air freshener spray, or carpet powder, something like thatcould have got on the guns?

Quick Reply: corrosion problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.