HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Stevens model 200 Paint job/trigger work? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/155322-stevens-model-200-paint-job-trigger-work.html)

Borty77 09-07-2006 07:40 PM

Stevens model 200 Paint job/trigger work?

My stevens .270 shoots good groups out of the box, but I would think I could do a little better with a lightened trigger. What adjustments can be made to the trigger?

Also, I am interested in creating a paint job for the gray stock. Any suggestions?

Deadeye777 09-11-2006 01:36 PM

RE: Stevens model 200 Paint job/trigger work?

This is my Stevens 200. I lightly roughened the surface and sprayed with krylon camo paint out of a rattlecan. Works great, looks classy. I opened the barrel channel a bit and got some groove lines off with these techniques:
Then I adjusted the trigger like THIS:
WARNING! BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERADJUST! Turn that little screw that has the long bar sitting in it. you'll see what i mean. when you turn it, the bar will rise then "click" back down into the screw. every time you back it out, the click will be lessened. back it off a couple of turns till the tension lightens. BE SURE TO STOP WHEN THE BAR "CLICKS" AND NOT INBETWEEN CLICKS. you don't want accidental misfires. there's a trigger creep spring as well, and that's key NO.2. be VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS. I'D SUGGEST LEAVING IT PRETTY MUCH ALONE!

Really only mess with Key NO.5, and keep some pressure on it.

Fire the gun with the beginning of your second pad on your trigger finger if this is a hunting rifle, not with your fingertip. it'll give you a constant squeeze and less strain in your shooting hand so you don't end up shifting the gun.

Again, I claim no responsibility for what you end up doing to your rifle and I hope you'll be safe about it. it's a relatively simple process, just make sure you do it right. BE SURE TO BUMP TEST IT PLENTY OF TIMES! and have fun shooting.

Borty77 09-11-2006 08:13 PM

Thanks Deadeye.............Did you create the graphic on how to trim the stock?
I have already started trimming the stock last year with my pocketknife.

Also what caliber Stevens are you shooting at 346 yards and what type of groups are you getting at 100?

Borty

Deadeye777 09-12-2006 12:50 AM

yeah I made those graphics. I'm getting .563 inch groups as my current AVERAGE from cheap WWB 45gr. JHP ammo. out of a .223. It took about 80 shots down the barrel to get it broken in, but it settled into a pleasant little groove. A 346yd shot is pretty much just messing around. Most of my shots are about 300 or less, mainly in the 50-200yd range for coyote. I have a 200 yard zero.