Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I need a new Shotgun >

I need a new Shotgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need a new Shotgun

Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 AM

Default RE: I need a new Shotgun

Would i be better to go with a 3"? I've never been turkey hunting but i plan on going this year. But i mainly will use the gun for dove skeets etc. But i wanna go ahead and get a gun that i can use all around. Any suggestions on any more guns, under $500 is possible
Old 09-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree... It sounds like the Remington 870 12GA is the best bet for you. The basic, no frills, Express model is the most popular shotgun out there. The classic "Wingmaster" is beautiful, all fancy looking, and can be/could beover $500 bucks. The "Express" model can be had for as little as $269 if you shop around.

My opinion: You have to have an 870. See, there is an unwritten rule that everyone must have (or have had) an 870 at some point in time. They are that good and are that popular for over 50 years!

Also... if you get into waterfowling, DO NOT show up at some buddies' duck blind with a brand new 870. They will try to, um, uh, "break it in" for you... They'll tie a rope around it and drag it through the marsh, then hand it back to you. [&:] Then knowing the craftsmanship of the Remington 870, it will still fire and work perfectly, even with being all gunked up withmarsh muck!!!

Old 09-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion would be a Stoeger 2000. It is the best shotgun that I've ever owned and can be had for between $400 and $450. I've owned a couple of remingtons, my cousins and uncles have owned them and I've also owned a Mossberg 835. I have to say that hands down the Stoeger is better in every respect. The Stoeger 2000 will not shoot 3.5" shells. It comes with 5 chokes including a Full Turkey choke that is very sufficient for Turkey hunting.

No you don't need 3.5" for anything. I turkey hunt and even if I had the ability to use 3.5" I'd still use 3". From what I've read, standard 3.5" shells do not out perform 3" shells. I don't know in what respects but I know I read that.

Using my Stoeger I killed a turkey at 43 yards this year and it went down dead.

BTW the 2000 is semi-auto and after running it through a couple of boxes of Turkey loads I've never had it fail to cycle even on the lightest loads.

Tom
Old 09-07-2006, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: ButchA

I agree... It sounds like the Remington 870 12GA is the best bet for you. The basic, no frills, Express model is the most popular shotgun out there. The classic "Wingmaster" is beautiful, all fancy looking, and can be/could beover $500 bucks. The "Express" model can be had for as little as $269 if you shop around.

My opinion: You have to have an 870. See, there is an unwritten rule that everyone must have (or have had) an 870 at some point in time. They are that good and are that popular for over 50 years!

Also... if you get into waterfowling, DO NOT show up at some buddies' duck blind with a brand new 870. They will try to, um, uh, "break it in" for you... They'll tie a rope around it and drag it through the marsh, then hand it back to you. [&:] Then knowing the craftsmanship of the Remington 870, it will still fire and work perfectly, even with being all gunked up withmarsh muck!!!
Sounds like you may of already been through this problem . I think for right now i'm going to go with the 870. Also which length barrel would be good to get? And how about the chokes? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the info
Old 09-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL!!! No, but I heard about a guy who had it happen. A few years ago, two guys I hunted with tried to do it to me (when my 870 was pretty new). [&:]

Anyway, the 870 comes stock with a modified choke. I would pick upthe imp. cylinder choke, afull choke, and also an X-full turkey choke of some type for it. They all unscrew and screw back in so you can quickly change them out. I would look ata 28" barrel if using it for doves, skeet, and whatnot. They also make a 26" barrel for it, but I don't know how much of a difference 2" really makes.

Good luck!!

Old 09-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

benelli nova is a GREAT ALL AROUND gun...best gun I got
Old 09-08-2006, 06:34 AM

I found a place that has the 870 in camo for $298 so i think i'm going to go that route. Thanks for all the help. Butcha man i would pissed if i had a new shotgun and they threw it in the mud, we might end up having a mudwrestling instead of a hunt.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:11 PM

I went for the over the top military look. I use a mossberg 590 for everything.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BAMABUCKHUNTER03

I found a place that has the 870 in camo for $298 so i think i'm going to go that route. Thanks for all the help. Butcha man i would pissed if i had a new shotgun and they threw it in the mud, we might end up having a mudwrestling instead of a hunt.
Hey, that's cool, Bamabuckhunter.... [8D] You'll love the 870! Best all around, go anywhere, do anything shotgun!

Yeah, I know the pranks and jokes hardcore waterfowlers can pull. Those guys are hilarious. Thank God they never took my (brand spanking new) 870 and tried to throw it in the marsh! [&:][]

Butch A.

Quick Reply: I need a new Shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.