Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 H&R handi rifle >

H&R handi rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R handi rifle

Old 09-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default H&R handi rifle

I am going to purchase a H&R handi rifle chambered for the 22-250 and i was wondering if u guys could give some input on the caliber and the rifle.thanks for every thing.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: H&R handi rifle

Several people on here have shot them with great success and seem to be pleased with their performance. However, a friend of mine got one, and no matter what we did, including removing all material touching the barrel from the fore end and using a rubber washer on the attaching stud, changing types of ammo, different points of rest off the bags, etc., etc., we could just not get that gun to shoot. But, as in nearly all things, a lemon can turn up now and then. Yours may be a great shooter. Others on here may add some experiences of their own.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:04 PM

Inexpensive gun. You take risk when you purchase. Overall I have been pleased, but have had the occasional gun that was not such a good shooter.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

First of all the 22-250 is a very nice caliber for coyote or wood chucks and other animals of that size. As for the gun my friend has one in a 243 and has the muzzle loader barrel for it. And he got both of them sighted in and can change the barrels and they still are shooting the same so they are a nice gun that is enexpensive and you can get different barrels for it.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have had a lot of them. I would stay away from the 22-250 and 243 in those rifles. I am sure you will have case sticking problems with those two calibers. Most of the other caliber work pretty well. I would stay with the 223 in the NEF for varmits.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

I have the 06 in the handi and with reloads out of the box will print 3 shots uder 7/8 at the 100 yd target.I will say I do have little problems with sticky cases after firing in the 06.I also had a 45-70 in the Buffalo Classic which did shoot excellent and never had sticky cases in the 45-70.I think for the money you can't go wrong I would shoot over to graybeard forum and see what they say about the cal. you are looking at.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for all of the info.my budget is the main reason that im looking in to the handi rifle.my home state tn just legalized all center fire rifles for deer hunting and was wondering how the 22-250 would do on deer and what bullet u would use.not that ill use it i have an 30-06,30-30,and a44mag rifle.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

For deer, they do make a few bullets intended to take deer size game. The Barnes X bullet and the Nosler Partition. I have had two 223 Handi rifles and they were very accurate. I had a 22-250 and two 243's all of these had major case sticking issues. Like at least half of the time. I also really like the 45-70 and Buffalo Classic. All of the rimmed cases work well in the handi rifle.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: brushbustin

thanks for all of the info.my budget is the main reason that im looking in to the handi rifle.my home state tn just legalized all center fire rifles for deer hunting and was wondering how the 22-250 would do on deer and what bullet u would use.not that ill use it i have an 30-06,30-30,and a44mag rifle.
Personally I would not deer hunt with anything less than a 243, but I prefer 7mm or larger.

I would use the 30-06 or the 30-30 that youallreadyfor deer and buy the handi rifle for varmits. Also sense you said budget 223 ammowould be cheaper than 22-250 or 204 ruger.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:08 PM

i think the handi rifle is a good starter gun i am thinking about getting one for my wife in .243 for next year.

Quick Reply: H&R handi rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.