Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Who has shot a .454 Casull?...your opinions of it. >

Who has shot a .454 Casull?...your opinions of it.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Who has shot a .454 Casull?...your opinions of it.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who has shot a .454 Casull?...your opinions of it.

Yes I have shot the 460 and the 454, if youre going to use it for deer you need nothing more than the 454. excellent gun.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:05 AM
bigcountry

It really depends on the gun you are shooting it out of. Out of my 5lb beast of a pistol 460 XVR Performance Center with 10.5" barrel and scope, a 300gr 454 load is quite a ***** cat. Out of a ruger, it can be a handful.

Full tilt 200gr 460 loads out of this pistol kick like a 24gr H110 240gr XTP 44mag load in my Model 29 smith. All depends on the pistol.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I talked to a guy at Scheels the other day. I was buying a Nikon 2x scope for my Bisley 44 Mag Hunter. He told me his 454 trashed the Nikon scope in a week. He put a Leupold 4X on it and it trashed it in about a week. He was looking for something tougher yet. The 44 Mag is all I need for NA big game but I have a hankering for a 480 Ruger.. If I need anything bigger, I will stay with the 308 Encore.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:20 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: James B

I talked to a guy at Scheels the other day. I was buying a Nikon 2x scope for my Bisley 44 Mag Hunter. He told me his 454 trashed the Nikon scope in a week. He put a Leupold 4X on it and it trashed it in about a week. He was looking for something tougher yet. The 44 Mag is all I need for NA big game but I have a hankering for a 480 Ruger.. If I need anything bigger, I will stay with the 308 Encore.
gotta love gun counter experts. I have heard some of the silliest stuff from em.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

I own a uberti 44mag 6" ported barrel with a 4x simmons scope on it. I had a S&W 44mag w/ 6" barrel and the S&W kicked alot more. I have shot a Ruger balck hawk(not exactly sure if that was the exact model...something hawk though) in 454 casul with a bushnell holo sight on it. It was very accurate off a rest but did kick/jumpa good bit. I got to shoot one of the S&W 500's last year when they first came out. I used one of those Knight and Hale steady ready arm stick deals that you put on your wrist and rest the stick in your gut or hip for support. I shot it 3 times and I had 3 bruises from the steady ready stick. It kicked...don't get me wrong...but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. With all the porting on the barrel it wasn't a whole bunchmore than that casul. Although the casul weighs a couple of lbs less than the 500 did. If they weighed the same weight it would be the differenct btw a 410auto and a 12ga 3 1/2 single shot...ok may be exaturating a little.

If you are looking for a scope on the casul I would take a look at those bushnell holo sights. If..ok when I buy another pistol and decide to put a scope on it I will probably go with one of these.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have one of the Taurus Raging Bulls. It is an excellent pistol, and with the compensator built into the barrel and the shock-absorbing grips, it is easier on you than an S&W M29 in .44 Magnum.

I really like the cartridge - it is a ++P .45 Colt and then some! In my "deer load", I use the Cast Performance 265-grain WFNGC bullet and 28 grains of Alliant 2400. The MV of this load is a mere 1550 FPS, but it is very accurate, and powerful enough. I use this reduced load to try to encourage my scope to stay in one piece longer.....

If I ever hunted anything larger with it, I'd switch to a heavier bullet, but still use a heat-treated cast bullet with the wide, flat nose.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

"He put a Leupold 4X on it and it trashed it in about a week."

If anyone finds anything tougher than a Leupold, please let us all know!!

These monster handguns are just hell on scopes!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:21 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

"He put a Leupold 4X on it and it trashed it in about a week."

If anyone finds anything tougher than a Leupold, please let us all know!!

These monster handguns are just hell on scopes!
Maybe, its wishful thinking. But I hope that statement isn't true. I have a 2-6 elite 3200 on my 460.

I know friends who have leupold 4X and 1.5-5X on 460 weatherby's and 458winmags. I can't see these monster handguns being that much tougher on them. At least I hope not. I just got into the monster handgun game, and don't feel like buying new scopes all the time.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have a raging bull too as well a model 29 S&W and I agree that the felt recoil is more sharp with my model 29. My wife will shoot my 454 but she refuses to shoot my model 29 ( tried it ... don't like it) if I can find it and figure out how to post it I have a clip of my 13 year old son shooting my 454.

here's the clip ( you'll need flash 8 and that is available there )

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/Don1958/?action=view&current=P1010017.flv
Old 09-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think your 3200 will hold up. There is not a tougher handgun scope made.

Quick Reply: Who has shot a .454 Casull?...your opinions of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.