Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Caliber for son's first deer rifle? >

Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

+ 1 for a .243 Win...............sounds like it's going to be a used gun for that kind of budget though.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Remington Model 7 in Youth model .243 caliber.
This. If you hit a deer where you should a 243 will kill him as dead as anything. And it will do it without any significant recoil that will affect your kids aim. I despise the "margin of error" argument put forth by people who advocate larger calibers for kids. It's utter horse pucky. A 30 caliber hole through a deers colon will do nothing to increase the odds of recovering that gut shot deer vs a 24 caliber hole through the same area. It's where you hit them that matters waaaay more than what you hit them with. If a kid can't shoot a 243 accurately then I promise you a heavier recoiling caliber will only make that situation worse.

Some one suggested the 257 roberts. A fine caliber but it will do nothing a 243 won't do. In fact the 243 shoots flatter with factory loads. Plus it will not be nearly as easy to find as 243 shells and probably more expensive when you do find it.

Some suggested the 6.5 x 55. Again, a fine cartridge, but of the 4 sporting goods stores within an hour drive of my house maybe 1 would have "a" box of these shells. And that's probably exactly how many boxes they would have, one!

Any store that sells ammo will have 243 in stock and probably multiple types from several makers.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

.243 or 30-30
Old 09-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

RR,

You mean he can't even afford to spend $200-$300 anymore !?!?

Damm Obama strikes again ! LOL

BTW - How do you know when a thread is started ?

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-15-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both 243 and 30-30 lever actions (BLR and Marlin 336). I have killed whitetail deer with both. My son is eleven and finally is interested in shooting and hunting. Even though I have taken him and his sister with me before, it didn't click with him until now. I will progress him into one of these two rifles even though I favor the 336 because the stock is shorter and my first deer rifle was a 336.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first was a Remington 700 BDL .243.
Light kick and killed a many of deer with it.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

CHR103yod, good choice. Managed recoil is available is several calibers. You can always move up to a more powerful load but, I believe the MR rounds are designed to be very effective at reasonable ranges.

I was just reading another thread about the 260. If you can find one, it is another good choice as is the 6.5 Swede. Minimal recoil with good effectiveness. Also, I usually recommend a shoulder recoil pad for new shooters. You wear it like a shoulder holster and they come in different thicknesses. Newer shooters will eventually want to "graduate" from using it or learn to depend on it. Either way, no harm done.

Proper shouldering is the secret to minimizing recoil. New shooters are a bit afraid sometimes. They use a loose hold with their face away from the stock. That maximizes felt recoil effect.

Last edited by Big Bullets; 09-23-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

When I was about that age my Dad bought me a weatherby vangard VGL in 243 and I still have it and up until about 5 years ago, I still used it.. The only reason I retired it was because my Dad passed on and left me his Model 7 in 243.. So now I shoot it and the weatherby is on idle until my son is old enough to shoot it.. The 243 is plenty for any whitetail around.. If your unsure about the smaller bullet, just go up to the 7nn-08.. It is a necked up 243 from 24 caliber to 28 caliber, use the 120 grain bullets and there won't be much difference in the recoil.. I have a 7mm-08 in the ruger compact that I love..
Old 09-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

My opinions, for what it's worth....
A first gun for your son to have as his very own? And one that he can use for years to come without worrying about buying up in recoil or caliber?
6.5 X 55 is an ideal choice. It's long-for-caliber bullets can create excellent penetration and it's recoil is well known for it's kindness. If you handload and have a modern strong action rifle you can create loads from 85 grain bullets up to 160 grains and from whisper easy-on-the-shoulder loads to harder-kicking elk stoppers with proper bullets and practice ... and bullet selection is decent. If you don't roll your own, or don't want to search for ammo, then a 7mm/08 or 308 or .243 would do just fine. Same with 30-30, 300 Savage, 7X57 .. it is really endless the # of good calibers for deer. Overall gun weight and fit is the real key to felt recoil. Along with proper technique and position when shooting.

A lot has been said about getting a gun small enough, short enough to be able to handle. Getting a gun that is real lightweight will only translate as a gun that kicks harder. A standard length gun with a slightly shortened stock is a great way to go. Get a bigger stock or longer pad as he grows.
It is easy to find light recoiling cartridges that are known to be good deer killers, but a gun that fits the kid well is worth far more.

There are so many cartridges that wil get the job done well, but finding the gun that fits you kid well is key.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

.260 Remington gets my vote if it can be had in a Stevens (Savage) 200. That will be in the right price range. If a .260 is not available, then .243, 7-08, 7x57, etc. And yes, get a gun that can be made to fit his frame. There are recoil pads that allow spacers to be added as he grows.

Quick Reply: Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.