Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Caliber for son's first deer rifle? >

Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Old 09-08-2006, 06:46 AM

Default RE: Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

my first deer rifle was an old winchester 30-30 with silver tips. my brother also used it too when he started deer hunting.

I would recomend anything from a .243 to a .270 depending on the size of your kid.

I personally like the .270. I use it to hunt elk here in Wy.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Anthony T.

The 243 puts larger calibers to shame. Been doing it with mine for 25+ years
That statement is simply uncalled for. Why turn this into a caliber battle? We all know a 243 will kill a deer as will about any other rifle. The main thing for a kid is to use a gun that wont get him to flinching. Something like a 243 or 25-06 will accomplish this. But that doesnt mean its inferior to any caliber. Cmon guy, if youre gonna make a statement like that, you're gonna need to prove it to me. That little hole in that 100lb deer isnt doing it for me. Any rifle can make an exit like that, it called, bashing the shoulder bone on exit and fragmenting.
comon guy, dont you know a .243 cant make it through bone, Buwahahahah. The proof is in da pudd'n.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

The proof was in the chasing. The problem you see when your a guide is a whole lot of hunters who have not touched their deer rifle since last year, or they bought a new rifle and had the shop bore sight it then they head out hunting without even firing the gun, or they go to Walmart and buy a box of shells on sale with no idea of what grain of bullet they should use or what grain of bullet thet bought last year. Or they can't tell if a deer is 100 yards or 250 yards.

I had a young guy who kept missing deer.When I ask where he was sighted in for he said he hit a cardboard box 25 yards away and his dad said," Hell thats close enough." I had another hunter shooting a 340 Weatherby Mag. He couldn't pull thje trigger without closing his eyes and jerking the trigger. I started taking them all to the range for a few shots before we ever left camp. That helped a little but nothing but time in the field will cure buck fever.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

243 is what i bought my son, and he loves it.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Im 16 i started out with a 22-250..but nowi shoot a 270.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very good choice indeed.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:58 PM

my suggestion is check your game laws find out what the minimum caliber you can legally shoot is and then go from there. many states you have to shoot a minimum of a .243. good luck to both of you.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:42 PM

I just got my grandson a Savage 7mm 08 fot his 11th brithday.He has been hunting with 1 of my 243s but wanted his own.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: James B

The proof was in the chasing. The problem you see when your a guide is a whole lot of hunters who have not touched their deer rifle since last year, or they bought a new rifle and had the shop bore sight it then they head out hunting without even firing the gun, or they go to Walmart and buy a box of shells on sale with no idea of what grain of bullet they should use or what grain of bullet thet bought last year. Or they can't tell if a deer is 100 yards or 250 yards.

I had a young guy who kept missing deer.When I ask where he was sighted in for he said he hit a cardboard box 25 yards away and his dad said," Hell thats close enough." I had another hunter shooting a 340 Weatherby Mag. He couldn't pull thje trigger without closing his eyes and jerking the trigger. I started taking them all to the range for a few shots before we ever left camp. That helped a little but nothing but time in the field will cure buck fever.
Those are all shooter related issues, not the choice of a .243 for deer. You'd have been chasing for the guy with the .340, too, if he had made a bad shot.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Spike

I say a .25-06 would be perfect.

Quick Reply: Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.