HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   knockdown power... fact or myth? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/153621-knockdown-power-fact-myth.html)

James B 08-29-2006 12:10 AM

RE: knockdown power... fact or myth?

Many things enter into KILLING power. Bullet size, bullet weight, bullet velocity, bullet energy and bullet placement to name some of them. When as many of these come together at one time, the more knockdown power that you have. Leave any of them out and you are more apt to have undesirable results. Good shot placement is critical regardless of what else you have.

DANTHEHUNTER 08-29-2006 02:19 AM

James that is exactly what I was saying, wound channel and static shock!If you have alot of tissue damage they will die quickly and more humane.That is why I like my 45/70,out to 150 yards not even a contest.But you still have to have shooting skills.Not a good paper puncher, a good hunter. Proper hunting skills make you a good shooter.I have hunting buddies that can shoot lights out at my range,put them in the field whole new deal.

zrexpilot 08-29-2006 03:58 PM

I have never heard of just a muzzle blast killing anything, I call BS on that, the only thing that will happen is youd get burned.
Wound channel is the only thing that kills, I do tend to believe in static shock, I think thismight have something to do the deerfalling or running. Some run and some fall and it aint got nothing to do with energy. I have dropped deer with a 22 mag double lung and have seen them run with a 300 mag, and vice versa.
Bullets knifes and arrows all kill by blood loss, however bullets tend to have hydro shock which seems to drop some in there tracks, but even then I have heard off arrows dropping deer in there tracks from a simple double lung, I dropped one from an arrow to the lungs one time but it got itself together and got up and went a few yards before falling again. Arrows offer no energy to speak of.
My friend got shot in the groin just to the side of his stuff, with a .25 auto and it put him down immediate, even though it did really nothing to him, they even left the bullet in there which worked its way out months later. He said it felt like a punch and his legs just gave out on him.

And I dont want to hearhow 22 mags are illegal, I know that and dont recomend using one either. I was young once........once.

Paul L Mohr 08-29-2006 05:14 PM

I have heard of many cases of people being killed by accidental discharges of blanks. There have been a few celebs that have died from this.

Also the muzzle blast from a rifle or shotgun has enough force to do you in if it's pointed at your head.

However the weapon would have to be very close, like contact type close. Would be no different than putting a small shape charge against your head. The force of the gasses coming out of the muzzle would be enough to split your skull.

Paul

zrexpilot 08-29-2006 06:05 PM

I have had the muzzle of a 12 guage go right off within an inch of my head, nothing happend to me but a damn ringing in my ear. ( damn brother-inlaw)

JagMagMan 08-29-2006 06:32 PM

Yeah, Brandon Lee killed himself with a blank!
Wound channel, or energy, whatever you want to call it, it takes velocity and weight to do it! To a certain extent, it doesn't matter, more velocity and less weight, or more weight and less velocity! You can't over do it, but you can under do it!

Anthony T. 08-29-2006 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I have had the muzzle of a 12 guage go right off within an inch of my head, nothing happend to me but a damn ringing in my ear. ( damn brother-inlaw)
Yea, but try standing in front of a 300 ultra mag, just out of the way of the bullet path. I havnet tried, but if you want to, go for it.:DMuzzle blast can kill, it's happened.

zrexpilot 08-29-2006 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Wound channel, or energy, whatever you want to call it, it takes velocity and weight to do it! To a certain extent, it doesn't matter, more velocity and less weight, or more weight and less velocity! You can't over do it, but you can under do it!
Not so. That pistol had a bullet lodged in the barrel from earlier testing with low velocity bullets or something they were doing, then when it came time to film they put blanks in it and it was just enough to get that bullet out of the barrel and kill him.

Anthony T. 08-29-2006 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Not so. That pistol had a bullet lodged in the barrel from earlier testing with low velocity bullets or something they were doing, then when it came time to film they put blanks in it and it was just enough to get that bullet out of the barrel and kill him.
Not exactly, the bullet grazed him, leaving a flesh wound. The impact from the blast killed him.

stubblejumper 08-29-2006 09:28 PM

I have seen a plexiglass hood protector shattered when a shot was fired over the hood of a truck from a 300win mag.We found all of the pieces and the bullet did not touch it at all.Muzzle blast can have a fair amount of energy.