Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

243 on elk

Old 04-08-2012, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last elk I shot had a broadhead lodged in its spine. The wound had healed over and was more likely than not a year or more old. That grizzled old bull had done quite well in spite of being less than 1/4" of being paralyzed.

I doubt we'll ever see a thread on arrows being "inhumane" or "insufficient" for elk. Yet, the .243 is accused of that almost constantly.

As I've posted here before, I've killed three elk with a .243. All three fell to single heart/lung shots. No tracking was necessary to "recover" any of them. Interestingly, the elk that I had to trail the farthest (maybe 100 yards) was hit through the heart and both lungs at less than 50 yards with a 300 gr SGK from a .375 H&H.

During deer season, we often drive past or end up nearby other deer camps. Lately, I've been amazed at how many animals I see hanging from a pole with huge holes blasted through their backstraps, hams and guts. It's not always possible to tell what caliber or bullet was used without actively engaging in conversation with someone, but it's quite apparent to me that we don't, as a community, stress marksmanship as much as we should. How many of these guys do you suppose are in the ".223 is too small for deer/.243 is too small for elk" camps? I'm pretty confident that none of those were .243 holes.

Oh, we'll argue 'til the campfire's down to coals about how one caliber is better than another, but we're loathe to make any kind of expectation of our own or someone else's shooting abilities.

Given today's demographic, I wouldn't recommend the .243 to anyone who couldn't reasonably hunt elk with a bow. A .243 demands more skill than most rifle hunters that I see today have at their disposal. Even I prefer a .30-06, now that I have a choice. Someday, a phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range will become available and the crowd who are shooters more than they are hunters will have the end-all to their elk woes.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I should make myself clear. I don't have any problem with people that choose a .243. I know folks who use one ever year.

I'm saying there is not a guide in the world that hopes all his clients show up to go on thier elk hunt with a .243.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a .243 Sako, a 25-06 Ruger, and several 30-06s in the safes and of all the elk hunting I've done I've always caried one of the 30-06s. Sure the other calibers will kill an animal, but why use a minimal caliber when you want a fast, humane kill!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

I saw a 5 point bull elk killed with a .243 many years ago in Washington State prior to the state setting the mandatory .30 Caliber minimum several years ago. It was a very well placed broadside first shot at about 40 yards...4 shots later the bull was still moving across the clear-cut, the kill shot was made by my brother with his 300 WM at about 400 yards. I'm not saying a .243 can't kill an elk...I wouldn't personally hunt elk with one. That being said, states that set the .30 cal min are also out of touch...I feel my 270 WIN, 270 WSM, 7mm RM and 7mm-08 are all very capable of taking elk (and several of them have).

At the end of the day, shot placement is critical...energy becomes more important with distance and poor shot placement. But like someone else said, if this is a guided out-of state hunt...is the investment in a good elk rifle worth what could turn out disastrous?
Additionally...I wouldn't go on any big game trip without a good backup rifle, so you need another rifle anyway...I learned that lesson the hard way many a year ago on an elk hunt in Eastern Oregon.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Washington has a .30 minumum???? really!!!??????
WAC 232-12-047
(1) It is unlawful to hunt any big game with:

(a) A fully automatic firearm.

(b) A centerfire cartridge less than 22 caliber for cougar.

(c) A centerfire cartridge less than 24 caliber for any other big game.

just sayin!!!!!! better read up on yer regs.....just saying

WAC 232-12-047

Agency filings affecting this sectionUnlawful methods for hunting.

Last edited by finnbear; 04-08-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, the .243 is still a legal caliber for big game in WA and has been for a long time, even though I wouldn't use one!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chiefks
I was wondering if anyone in here has taken elk with a 243 before. If you have what was your expeience? Like what bullet did you use? How far did the elk run after the shot? What was your shot placement? How far away was the elk? I am thinking about going on my first elk hunt nextfall in colorado on a late season cow elk hunt. I deer hunt with a savage model 12 243 with a 26" barrel and accu trigger. It is the only high powered rifle I have. I know there are better rounds to elk hunt with, but I don't have anything else to use right now so I'm looking for information on the 243 on elk. Please don't post about other rounds, cause thats not what I am looking for.
I'm wondering why folks insist on posting on a six year old thread.....

I suspect the hunt is history by now!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend in Alaska that only owns a Browning BAR in 243, he has sucsessfully used it for years hunting bear and moose. Its all about the right bullet and shot placement. I have seen numerous elk taken with both the 243 and 6mm.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Vapodog
I'm wondering why folks insist on posting on a six year old thread.....

I suspect the hunt is history by now!
Because it is good information for someone that might have the same or similar question.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
Because it is good information for someone that might have the same or similar question.
Maybe you should start a thread on hunting cape buffalo with a .243 then.....you know...just in case....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.