Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New scope

Old 08-16-2006, 10:01 AM

Default RE: New scope

Well I have never had either scope as I just don't have the $$$ for top end scopes (wish I did), nice looking rifle the flip up scope covers are a must!!!
my buddy had a leapold and sold it...biggest mistake he says he ever made.....
Old 08-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zeiss Conquest. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always had Leupold!A friend and I were hunting late one evening and some deer showed up just around dusk. We compaired my 3-9 Vari-X III 40mm to his 3-9 40mm Zeiss Conquest!!! The Zeiss Conquest won hand's down. I purchased my first Zeiss in January of this year from a guy that sells NIB scopes with full warantyonE-bay. I saved $75.00,that's hard to beat! If you interested,let me know and I'll send you the link...
Old 08-17-2006, 08:48 AM

I don't see a bad choice either way! Like them both but I am slightly partial to the glass etched reticles myself.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:35 PM

I'mchiming in with the Nikon Monarch UCC. Similar price range. Biggest determining factor, I went to Cabela's to buy a Leupold for my new .300 Win Mag. They have a rifle stock equipped so that you can put two different scopes on at the same time and do a genuine A/B comparison. I was absolutely stunned at the light gathering abilities of the NIkon. Blew me away! Really was no comparison in clarity and brightnessw. AND . . . it gave you the opportunity to try different scopes and looking at the same animal objects throughout the store. I got the NIkon and saved myself a little change to boot.
If you have this kind of opportunity, try A/Bing two scopes. It will surprise you.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 AM
BKL

Nice rigs...and dogs! My dogs run away when I bring my guns out to clean.

I was talking to the owner of TheOpticZone.com to get some suggestions with a new scope purchase (I hadn't bought a scope in 15 years). He HIGHLY reccommended the Nikon Monarch. He thought, in that price range, the Monarch is the brightest and best scope. Now, I am assuming that the Zeiss and VXIII are more money. Hisprice on the Monarch (2-7) was $239. I ended up bying binos from him because I have several rifles with scopes for this season, but no binos. I figured I'd get the binos first. Maybe one day I'll slurge on a Zeiss. Although, I like the idea of only spending $239 on a nice scope. Oh, he said that if I didn't like the Nikon, I could send it back (on his dime) and he would exchange it for something else...that is how confident he was about it.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

This weeked I picked up the new gun looked at many scopes just couldn't decideon what I wanted so I took new gun to gunsmith to adjust the trigger to 2.5lbs and he had a Leupold VARI-X III 3x9x40 laying there asked him if was for sale and he said make a offer so I got it for $125.00I think I got a good deal what do you all think
Old 08-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I'd say you got a good deal.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

I've alwaysbeen a Leupold person myself.I have 3 var XII and1 VarXIII.My bro inlaw has the zeiss conquest. It is very nice and has good light gathering at dawn and dusk.I wouldn't say its any better or worst than my leupold. The only Nikon I've had experience with is the one on my wifes A-bolt .243 (2x7x40 monarch). Its a piece of junk in my book. I never have to resight my Leupold between seasons but every year that nikon is off.

I just bought a new Model 70 300wsm this past week and decided to stray from the Leupold and go with a Meopta Meostar. Meopta has been aroundfor close to 80 yearsand recently started developing hunting scopes. Looking at the optical charts on them they have the same coatings and parameters of the Swarski's and Zeiss Divari's for almost half the price. This will go up soon due to them beingmarked for market entry pricing. I got mine for around $600 tax and all. It was a last years stock and they were getting this years stock in, which will be marked for $799, and they gave me a deal on it. I've taken the meoptaand held them up at dusk next to the leupold and zeiss and it seemed as clear if not clearer than the zeiss and way clearer than the Leupold. I shot mine this past weekend and it is rock solid. I was shootingpenny size groupings off a rolled up towel on a bench at 100yds. 3x12x56 Meostar w/4B recticle.(3 heavy bars and 1 thin up top).
You may want to hunt one of these down and give it a try before you make your decision.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to the SWFA web site. They have alot of Kahles 3 X 9's in their used scope selection. I noticed a couple of people saying they have or have seen a 3 X 9 Vari X III- I did not think Leupold makes that scope. I think 3 X 9's are VX11's. Leupold makes a great "American" made scope, however I believe Leupold is starting to import some products and materials. Oops, there goes made in USA...... What does "brightness" mean, how do you quantify brightness. You can not compare scopes in a gun store, you must take them outside into a low light situation to truly judge. When comparing look at the edges of the scope, that is where your quality glass pays off. Price is always important, but I have Zeiss scopes that are 30 years old, I can sell these scopes today for three times what I paid for them, and have people standing in line to buy them. I have never seen a 30 year old Nikon. Remember repeatability and reliability are the most important factors, go with all the glass that you can possibly afford, then borrow a little money and get even better glass, 30 years from now you will be glad you did!!! Tom.

Quick Reply: New scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.