Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 General Purpose Rifle >

General Purpose Rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

General Purpose Rifle

Old 08-15-2006, 07:02 PM

Default RE: General Purpose Rifle

Always great replies from you guys. I hadn't thought of a couple of the rifles that you guys suggested. I have no experience with the .25-06 or the Marlin 1894 in 357. The rifles that I had considered were the .243, .223 and the 30-30. Just wondering how the .25-06 and the .243 compare? Also, does anyone else have any experience with the Marlin?
Old 08-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

According to Gods gift to the firearms community, I am a super cheap person. I still like the 223. I kinda feel bad for saving money at the range. NOT
Old 08-15-2006, 07:26 PM

I haven't hunted with a .223 although I have shot them a good bit. I have a lot of confidence in my ability to choose and take a good shot, so I think I would be okay if I decided to take a dear with one, but I know that they are a sore spot on this board.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't recommend the 223 for deer hunting although its legal where I hunt. I took several deer with the Savage over and under in 222. when that was the only rifle I had. It worked well and I never lost a deer with it. I did pick my shots though and kept the shots under 100 yards. That was beffore the premium bullets meant for deer were around. Barnes and Nosler make bullets now made for deer hunting with the 22 Centerfires. I never use them anymore but in a pinch, I know it would work again.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

Is it that the 7mm is too heavy and hard to lug around the mountains? Mine is also, so I bought a 30-06 deer rifle for woods hunting. But if I wanted something to kill coyotes and such and still hunt for deer in woods, I'd go with a 25-06. It's a versatile round for anything, including deer. Id say if you don't need the 7mm for long range hunting, sell it and buy a 25-06 and 30-06just my .02 Im keeping mine, but I hunt alot of feilds too. If you don't take shots over 200yds, the 30-06 can do anything the 7mm can do.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Check out the savage 24f dual barrel shotgun/rifle. Can probably get a used one for real cheap. Sounds like you already have a rifle to use during deer season and I'm certain you'll have no qualms about shooting any coyote that happens to show up when your carrying it. Real question is during the rest of the year. A 22lr or 223 and a 20 or 12 gauge should birds or assorted small game cross your path will probably be more than adequate. I got a 22mag/20gauge that I keep on the atv when I'm doing the rounds. 22mag is more than able to take anything I am likely to run acrossand want to shoot during the rest of the year. During deer season I am hunting and won't shoot anything but deer so its not an issue at that time.Gun ain't pretty but its very functional for such situations. Before I always was carrying around a specific gun for what I wanted to encounter and not what I actually did.Good luck.( P.S it is heavy and if I had to walk(300+acres) I would probablyjust carry my22lr carbine.)
Old 08-16-2006, 02:56 PM

Thanks NYOrange I'll look into it. I'm very happy with the performance of my 7mm mag for deer season. It's riding and walking around when I'm not specifically after deer that I want a rifle for, but I still want it to be versitile enough that I can hunt deer with it, or loan it to someone when they visit to hunt. I've got a couple of buddies that will be visiting during hunting season, and one has to fly, so I want something that he could use if he needs. to.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

GAmagman,
I've owned guns from 17 hmr to 458 win mag and when it comes to a cross over rifles be it varmits and deer or deer to elk.You can't beat the 25-06 for varmits and deer,heck 115 gr Barnes x and you couldknock down some serious hogs to.
I have used the 25-06 for 13 years I have taken everthing from grouse to elk(little light for elk),by far the best deer cartrige ever made IMHO.
For about 270 bucks you can get a Stevens Bolt modle 200,Light,cheap and by far the most acurate rifle under 300 bucks.
BBJ
Old 08-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Savage model 24 over and under that is a handy gun. 30/30 on top and 20 ga. on the bottom. I always wanted to get one of those insert things that let you shoot a different cartridge (30 cal.)in a 30/30 chamber. Then the rifle could be used for small game.

Robin down under.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:29 PM

I think I have it narrowed down between a .243 and a .25-06. I'll probably buy a Savage with a synthetic stock. Can any of you gun gurus tell me the differences between the two cartridges? I've shot a .243 on several occasions, so I know it's pretty flat shooting and has very little kick.

Quick Reply: General Purpose Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.