Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 270 Cal . . . what to hunt? >

270 Cal . . . what to hunt?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 Cal . . . what to hunt?

Old 08-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 270 Cal . . . what to hunt?

I would not use the .270 Win. to hunt the great bears with. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can use it for pretty much anything. They are a jack of all trades...I have killed tons of deer with mine.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:30 AM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

The 270win works well for deer,sheep,caribou and pronghorn,and other game of similar size.It can be used for elk and moose,but it is certainly not an ideal cartridge for those animals.
Ditto!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 04:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since its introduction in 1925, it has been used to take all North American game and most African Plains Game. Its a fine and versitile tool.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:16 AM

Since we arenow slipping/easing/ratchetiing our way up to talking about takingtrue big (non-deer) game with a 270 ....thisgreatquoteby RedRiverHuntr comes to mind.....

IMHO....I would recommend a sharp stick! Here is my logic.....
More game has been killed with it than any other.
It doesn't weigh very much.
It is readily available.
Very little recoil. (Provided you throw it. If you stab him with it you could get a little reverb)
As long as you limit yourself to the range you are comfortable with(i.e. don't try to stab him from a range longer than your stick)and use proper point placement, you will be satisfied with the results!!!
Just remember to get comfortable with your stick and practice sufficiently to acquire the proper confidence.

As an added bonus, when you realize that you have spent all this money, time and effort on what could havebeen an outstanding hunt, perhaps even the hunt of a lifetime, but yet had to pass up your shot due to the fact that you un-necessarily handicapped yourself by trying to use the least amount of force possible............
you can use your stick to actually do a field study as to whether that realization at that particular point in time is any more painful than a sharp stick in the eye!!!
When it comes to the larger (non-deer sized critters) big game I'd recommend that you consider matching your tools to the size of the job at hand.... I'm betting taht univerally better results come about that way and most the polls of membership here seem to support that. Go with the mainstream unless you havea tonof skill and experience to offset the shortage of weaponry.

IMHO, 270s are outstanding deer and antelope rilfes....
Significantly less outstanding for larger game....

But then again, there is the 22LR.... it has.... people have.... it has been done.... it will do it.... etc, etc. ---- still don't make it a good idea.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JWoodard68

Just moved and found a great gun shop nearby. They have a used Sig 202 in 270 cal that I fell in love with. Always used shotguns for hunting so far. What is the 270 cal a good gun to hunt for?
Just trying to justify picking it up.
Thanks.JW
With the right bullets, such as a 130-grain Nosler Partition for the lighter game (up to and including big mule deer) and the 150-grain Nosler Partition for elk & moose, the .270 is plenty for all game in North America, with the possible exception of the great bears (Kodiak and Polar). I have seen the .270kill these too, but if you use it for the biggies, make sure you have a good shot backing you up with a .338 Win. or .375 H&H! (A good idea in ANY case!!)

IMO, the .270 Win. is one of the world's great cartridges. Just learn to shoot it well, which is not hard, since it has low recoil and excellent accuracy.I carried one, or a .375 H&H, the entire time I lived in Alaska for three years. Although I had the .375, it seemed that every time I got a shot at a head of big game up there, I was carrying the .270 loaded with a 150-grain Nosler Partition bullet at 2850 FPS. It proved sufficient for moose, caribou, and several large black bears. Upon return to the lower 48, I switched back to 130-grain bullets.

BTW, those Sauers are superb rifles, and have interchangeable barrels!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:18 PM

I have said it before, My Brother has one and SWEARS by it. He always feeds me this ballistics cr@p about how his is better than mine (i got a .30-06) IMO they all do the same thing. But somebody said earlier, if you fell in love with it, BUY IT!!!! If nothing else, it will put a smile on your face every time you open the gun cabinet.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:25 PM

One more thing, if its about justifying it to the wife..........My Dad told me a long time ago, "One thing you never tell your wife is when you buy a gun, they just dont get it"
And truth be told, she used to get mad every time I bought a gun, my dad gave me his wisdom, and now it doesnt seem to bother her at all when I buy one, its like she doesnt even know.