Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Choices poll and Why? >

Choices poll and Why?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Choices poll and Why?

Old 08-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default Choices poll and Why?

Poll to share why you like your firearm set up. List one or many thanks for participating. Also might give insight to those that are missing something.

#1Make, Model,and Caliber of the firearm you choose to shoot and why?

#2 What scope or sight do you use on it and why?

#3 What ammunition do you shoot through it and why?

#4 What accessories do you use with it(sling, bipods, or shooting sticks) and why?

Just for fun add a estimated total price of the whole set up.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:12 AM

Default RE: Choices poll and Why?

rem 700 adl mnt gun stainless/polymer 30-06
it was on sale...get ammo anywhere....lightweight...durable...06 is a 06..

redfield tracker 3x9 scope with leupold rings and bases
it was on sale

been usin fed hi-shok 180gr
it was on sale...........works good

standard 1'' military sling

all was purchased several years ago
est total cost....$550.00

game hunted.........Elk & Mule Deer

early
Old 08-13-2006, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

I guess I'll start

1. Ruger, No. 1b stainless 26inch barrel, and in 300wm. Always liked ruger firearms they feel comfortable in hand. I like the No. 1b because it very steady on off hand shots and it is very accurate for the money. The 300 wm I chose because I wanted to try it and it's ballistic's are perfect for hunting the high open mtn tops of colorado.

2. Leupold VIII 4x12 because I need glasses and I can turn it up on the long shots. lol good solid scope with good glass that is clear.

3. I reload the ammo.
Winchester cases because the last longer and I get more reloads.
CCI large magnum primers they never fail
H4831 77.3 grs beause it feels the case almost to where the bullet seats and it's slower more uniform in burning rate.
Speer spitzer boattail 165gr. good solid hunting bullet and it fly's like a match bullet. Perfect for long range shooting and stay's together perfect in test's, I've never recovered one in a animal always exits even at 500yds.
In short 165gr bullet, 77.3gr 4831, and velocity 3180fps. Under 1" groups at 100yds.

4. I use a standard nylon sling and attach Harris 9 to 13" bipods on it when not horse back. The bipods I love becuase if I got time to go to prone position forget what the rangefinder says that animal is dead. LOL

Total equipment price:
Rifle bought in 2000- $700.00
Scope same year- $350.00
Sling and bipods- $80.00
Ammo cost to reload- $8.00 per twenty.

Share yours thanks.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks early, sounds like a good setup for hunting.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:38 AM

Ah, any notation as to what we are hunting before wethrow our "favorite" tool for the job into the ring? Might read a little different between p-dogs and elk.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

ElkKamp would be helpful wouldn't it. lol

Mine was for big game. Elk is it's maincourse but use it for deer and bear also.

List as many setups as you like and like Elkamp said its intended hunting use. List a p-dog gun if you like or your cape buffalo stopper.

Thanks again

Old 08-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. Marlin guide gun .450 Marlin, I just like lever action guns
2. Ziess Conquest 3 x 9 x 50, because I hunt hog a lot at night and low light and with any moon at all I can still shoot without a light.
3. Hornady 350 grain loads, though I'm trying their new shells they just came out with
4. Sling to make it easier to carry
5. Somewhere around $1,000 invested in it
6. Mainly hog but I use it for deer as well, and I'm planning on taking it Elk hunting in heavy timber.
7. Drawback it kicks harder than my buddies .375 H&H
Old 08-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

for deer

1)custom built on stainless 700 action 7mmstw-super flsat trajectory
2)swarovski 3x10x42 super bright but light
3)140gr ballistic tip,quick kills,1/2moa accuracy
4)Neoprene sling,butler creek flip ups

for elk

same package but in 300ultramag
180grtsx
Old 08-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Browning BAR Mark II safari 30-06 with BOSS system, purchased mainly from family’s recommendation on caliber. I picked Browning mainly as my first gun, I purchased a .22 LR Silhouette due to the fact it had so much natural wood for a pistol. It shot so well, that I have stuck with the Browning brand.[/ol]

I purchased a Leupold VX-III 3.5 – 10 x 40mm, which was another recommendation from family members, and because there were many accessories that I could add.[/ol]

For ammo, I use the Federal Nosler Ballistic Tip 165 gr. This is going to be totally nuts, but I just like the little green tip at the top of the bullet.[/ol]

Accessories; Where to start I purchased the Browning horsehair sling. I bought a gun case specifically for this gun from the NRA, which is a hard-sided airline approved case. Leupold accessories: Alumina intensifier kit, Alumina raincote kit, Alumina flips back covers, and Alumina rubber eyepiece guard. I also got the Browning ultra magnum shooting rest, and a CED shooting mat on those remote excursions that I actually have to lay down and shoot, which occurs during practice at the range. [/ol]

Total cost of my hunting gun, approximately $1,700.[/ol]

This all was a spur of the moment purchase, as I have not been hunting for a good 20 years, when I gave hunting up to pursue more money and a job while in high school. Looking back, I would do it all over and not have a job, or not let the job take so much of my free time to interfere with hunting. Those years of missed opportunities, and times with my family, no amount of money can possibly replace them.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

1. Remington 700 ADL in .30-06, synthetic camo stock (Skyline Excel pattern) -- I like Remingtons andwanted a .30-06 for deer, so I picked this one up when it went on sale

2. Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40mm, matte finish -- Reputable scope with good quality, and for my purposes a good model in terms of optics/price

3. Remington Premier Core-Lokt 150 gr. PSP -- Easy to find, inexpensive, accurate enough for my distances, and it gets the job done

4. Camo nylon sling -- Wanted a sling for walking through brush on the way to my spots, so I figured why not getit in camo

5. About $700 in all

Quick Reply: Choices poll and Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.