Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Brenneke and Truball slug results >

Brenneke and Truball slug results

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Brenneke and Truball slug results

Old 08-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Brenneke and Truball slug results

Well today I bought a Browning pump that I’ve had my eyes on and fired two different slugs through the slug barrel that came with it. The Truballs left nice groups but man those things kick like a Mule. The Brenneke’s were more accurate leaving 1 ½ inch to 2 ½ inch groups but they jammed up the pump on the 3rd 4th and 5th slug I shot. When I took the barrel off to clean it there was what looked like plastic hanging down in the barrel. Is that normal for a slug to leave that much crud in the barrel?
Old 08-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Brenneke and Truball slug results

I meant to mention that I’m having a hell of a time getting the crud out. It looks like melted plastic or wax residue.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:53 PM

What is the chamber length, and what is the shell length?
Old 08-13-2006, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

The chamber length is 3" and I was shooting 2 3/4
Old 08-13-2006, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

I tested five different types last week also..smooth bore WW 1300 with a mod. choke and 1 X 4 scope at 50 yards..the Brenneke, WW something, Lightfield, True-ball, and KO something..they all shot well enough to kill any deer but the ..FEDERAL TRU-BALL was the best and by far the most powerful and kicked way worse than the other 4.. they were only the 2 3/4 inch version of all. I'd hate to shoot the 3 inch !!!
Old 08-13-2006, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Frank in the Laurels

I tested five different types last week also..smooth bore WW 1300 with a mod. choke and 1 X 4 scope at 50 yards..the Brenneke, WW something, Lightfield, True-ball, and KO something..they all shot well enough to kill any deer but the ..FEDERAL TRU-BALL was the best and by far the most powerful and kicked way worse than the other 4.. they were only the 2 3/4 inch version of all. I'd hate to shoot the 3 inch !!!

Those Truballs due kick hard. I was shooting the 2 3/4 inch as well and there's no way I would want to shoot the 3.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you shot the heck out of it and didn't give that barrel any (enough) time to cool off between shots. In a rifled barrel shooting regular bullets or slugs a little bit of the material shaves off on the rifling and this is called leading. When you shoot a sboted round thru a rifled barrel, the plastic sabot shaves a bit in the rifling. Sounds like the plastic material left behind was melting.

It's a great idea to let your barrel adequately cool between each few rounds and also clean it pretty good. This will help youfind out what kind of accuracy your gun/ammo is really capable of.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Is the barrel rifled or smooth bore???
Old 08-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

It's a smooth bore deer barrel.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

No MATT..it was much more controlled than that..the barrel was cleaned at the end of each type and one fouling shot fired before each group of three for the actual test..the barrels were cleaned with Kroil with a little bit of JB paste to remove everything..then they were cleaned with "TM" and Butches Bore Shine...so everything was on the up and up and the playing field was level..all of them shot more than good enough to kill any deer that walks within 100 yards of the barrel but without question the Federal Tru-Ball was ahead of the others and not just by a little. I was suprised the the Tru-Ball Wad usually went to the target..it didn't fall away at 25 yards like the others..maybe that's why they shot better..almost like fletching on an arrow...the other surpising part was that they "all"shot much higher than the shotshell point of aim...the gun is my son't turkey gun...in camo advantage and the scope was adjusted dead on at 30 yards with Federal 2oz #5's with a Hastings .655 choke...removing the choke and replacing it with the factory modified was the only change..the impact point of all the loads was about 1 foot high at 50 yards...they were dead center left and right, but high..I was surprised by that...a foot at 50 is alot of difference..at 100 yards they were even higher...FEDERAL TRU-BALL..try em' in your smooth bore and see for yourself..by the way I bought 10 little 5 paks, just in case corporate American decides to drop them from their market..50 should last a long time..

Quick Reply: Brenneke and Truball slug results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.