Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Powerful Air Rifles >

Powerful Air Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Powerful Air Rifles

Old 07-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Powerful Air Rifles

I used CB Longs as well, and they are much quieter than a good air rifle, at least when the CB is fired from a rifle barrel. What takes many to the good air rifle is that they are legal in situations where the firearm is a dicy choice. Personally I like the RWS air rifles but I have been able to "get by" without one due to the CB Long. There has been some discussion of air rifles in the Small Game, Predator and Trapping forum.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again to all the replies. I'll inform my bro-in-law and see what he would like to do. Maybe the CB's with the low noise and greater lead ball would be a better choice.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:51 PM

A tube fed Marlin bolt action will hold 17 or so CCI short CBs and works very well on cats. I hate to waste but the wild cats get bad at my home on occasion, the round is very quiet and shoots well.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dm hit the nail on the head.The "CB" rounds are the only way to go .I can shoot them in a bolt I have and you can hear the firing pin "Ding" and that's it.175 yards down range at my pond you hear the "Whap" of the bullet .It will stop the clock of an adult ground hog.I use the "CB" long.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

I just built a website for a guy who is a professional hunter. One of his shows is about how he hunted a 180lb feral hog with a Gamo Air Rifle. The video/commercial for the show will be on his website tomorrow if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.stevescott.tv

I haven't seen the video yet, but will tonight. I have shot hogs with .50 caliber muzzleloaders just to watch them run away. I can't wait to see how he took down his hog with a "red rider"
Old 07-26-2006, 12:53 PM

Everybody that reccomended the CB ammo is right, dead quiet. I bought a ruger 10/22 just because my gunsmith intoduced me to the CB rounds. I would really advise against the pellet gun.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:40 PM

Well, if it counts as anything my .22 chinese airgun has taken out 5 possums, one shot to the head in a row.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to all so far. It looks like the prudent thing to do is to go with CB rounds. If he is successful in trapping several and take them behind the shed for their medicine I suspect the incidents of tampering with his feeders and trash will begin to subside. I actually have an old Heritage .22 six shooter that will fulfill his up close coup de grace needs. It's not very accurate as a range gun but for popping coon skulls it should be dandy. The CB rounds in the pistol may mak a little more noise than in the rifle but from what you guys are all saying it shouldn't disturb the neirbors much at all. Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:51 PM

Well, if he's going to do that. (trap them and then finish it out back)
Nothing isquieter than a .22 rifle with a "contact" shot.
"tony soprano style"
Put the rifle barrel lightly to it's head and even a 22LR will just make asomewhat loud"whump", and a CB will make only a tiny "pop", but nothing that sounds like a gun shot.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure a GOOD QUALITY 22 cal air rifle will put a raccons D!@# in the dirt if shot in the head!!!!

But then again not every one can shoot

Quick Reply: Powerful Air Rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.