Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 17 HMR uses? >

17 HMR uses?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

17 HMR uses?

Old 08-01-2006, 06:16 PM

Default RE: 17 HMR uses?

It is used for about the same things you would use a .22 mag for.
Guess this sentence stuck in my head for some reason, sorry Paul. My only point is that from my personal experiencea 22. mag does not have what it takes to group well at 200 yards where a .17 will. Ihave two rimfires setup exactly the same except one is a.22 mag, the other a .17 HMR, the .17groups better especially atlonger ranges. Paul do you feel that I am way off base with this? The guys shooting those accurate .22 mags you refer to are not shooting at 200 yards. But this is my personal experience, I would think it would go without sayingyour experience may vary.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: CtHunter8

you'll never see me usint no 17HMR

-Travis-

Sure I will. You will need something useless to poke at the dead p-dogs to make sure they are dead.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 PM

well they are accurate and shoot well out to 150 or so and are as good as but most times better then the 22 mag. i have shot a few coyotes with it and works well but all shots were about 50yrds or less. i basicly only use the 20gr. in my trials it doesnt blow things up like the vmax does. yes the vmax are designed to do that i find it to be wastefull when shooting for the table. though i must question ryanaller on his fall turkeys with it. im not sure where he hunts and i may be wrong but it seems taking a turkey with a rifle may not be kosher. agian i may be wrong but just wondering if any one else caught that?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Typical Buck

I normally have a 17HMR or 223 when traveling my pastures. I have taken countless crows a few javelinas and a couple of feral hogs (out to 130yds) with HMR. On the bigger critters shot placement is the key.

PS...700BDL btw,there are several states that allow rifles for turkey, Texas(rimfires or centerfires)is one of them and sure that Ryan's home state of Oklahoma is too.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:13 AM

[/quote]

Sure I will. You will need something useless to poke at the dead p-dogs to make sure they are dead.
[/quote]

-Travis-
Old 08-02-2006, 02:49 PM

I totally agree with your thinking USMC. My only point in saying that was the 17 is often used for the same game a .22 mag would be. It is essentially the same cartridge with a lighter faster bullet.

The .22 mag has the advantage of having more down range power because of the heavier bullet, and slightly cheaper ammo. However the HMR has a better designed bullet, and now a few different offerings for different tasks. And a deffinate edge in accuracy and a flatter trajectory.

CThunter, If you don't want to use one that's fine, but do you care to expand on why? Just stating you will never use one doesn't help his decision on getting one much.

Paul
Old 08-03-2006, 06:01 AM

Glad to be on the same page Paul.

CThunter - never say never! I own several gunsin calibers that at one time I said I would never own. Your tasts change with time my friend and it is easy to fall into a nitch where you end up getting something you otherwise would not.

My opinion, if you do not already own a .22 mag, buy the .17 HMR.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

I'll get a .17 when they are as cheap to shoot as a .22 LR. I just can't see paying the premium it costs to shoot the .17, considering that I have a .223 Rem.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely leaning to the .17 for what I need it to do which is a carrying around rifle to take shots at groundhogs mostly when out deer scouting. The lower muzzle blast will be more beneficial than the extra range of a .222 would be as I am in a fairly built up area.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 AM

You can load a .223 down to be quiter than normal, but with full power loads you have lots more power and range. It's as cheap to shoot with surplus and similar ammo as the 17 HMR and is generally pretty accurate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.