Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage Police >

Savage Police

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Police

Old 07-23-2006, 07:21 PM

Default Savage Police

Ok im looking at getting me a Savage Police model in 308. what do you guys think of the gun? I know you all say savage has amazing out of the box accuracy and i like the accutriger... just want some second opinions. The gun is gonna be a long range rifle hopefully 300yards on the light side and up to 500. Thinking of topping it with a nikon. Woud like all suggestions.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:13 PM

Default RE: Savage Police

Savage makes good rifles. I have a model 12 chambered in 243 winchester. Its not as heavy as most varmit rifles, doesn't have the bigger style of stocks that most varmit rifles have, and it still has the 26 inch bull barrel. It also has the accu trigger. I don't have axcess to a solid bench rest, but I know the gun will shoot beyond my capablities. Shot a big buck 2 seasons ago at almost 400 yards with one shot.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:23 PM

what about the Barska scopes? anyone ever used these?? i can get a 10-40x50 for $300. that seems VERY low priced for this power scope. Also been looking at the Bushnell 3200 series sense the last post and was thinking on one of those as well.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:45 AM
Typical Buck

The savage tacticals and varmints are awesome rifles for the money!!!!! Out of the box they group as good and usually better than any other rifle out there, even customs.

My model 12 is much more accurate than i am right now. First time out i was sighting it in. Spotted a big ole fat wasp fooling around the target. It lighted and i sqeezed off.........I crap you not but i hit the thing!!!!! I have pics somewere. I admit, it was probably more luck than skill but i did it anyway! Itwas cool!

If your going to use it for long range shooting then i do have a recommendation. DUMP THE CRAPPY STOCK ON IT!!!!!! Ever wonder why savages are so cheap? One BIG reason is the stock. The synthetic stock is absolute TRASH!!!! Mine will wear either a Bell and Carlson Medalist or SharpShooter Supply VarTac eventually. Leaning toward the B&C because its a bit cheaper.Mcmilian also will inlet you a stock but look to pay BIG dollars for it and wait a loooong time to get it.

As good as the accutrigger is alot of serious long range guys replace it with a SharpShooterSupply trigger. I personally don't see the need it replacing the accutrigger. It's one of the best factory triggers i've ever snapped.

check out http://www.savageshooters.com for all the information you'd ever care to know about savage rifles. those guys eat, sleep and breathe Savage.

good luck
cart

oh almost forgot. Optics!!! In this area you almost always get what you pay for. That being said there are some fantstic scopes out there for not alot of money. This comment is going to ruffle alot of feathers out there but i'm going to say it anyway. I think Leupolds are overpriced, period. I prefer Weaver or the upper end of Simmons (Master series)to Loopys. This is just my opinion so take it for what its worth. Leupolds are fine, functional scopes but i don't see them being worth the money they command.

My model 12 bvss in .270WSM wears a Weaver classic V 6.5x24 with MilDot reticle.

I've never played with Barska scopes but i'd be leary of a 10-40 for three hundred. If your wanting a nice scope for a little less money check out Mueller optics. They get excellent reviews.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:37 AM
Banned

Awesome guns. HCH
Old 07-26-2006, 08:53 AM

I wouldn't get a scope with more than 20 power. It will mirage and you wont get the accuracy you want.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well since you mentioned police, I will have to recommend the Remongton 700P or PSS over the Savage. They some from the factory with a H-S Precision stock on them and are highly accurate. If your looking for a Law Enforcement Sniper rifle for duty, then almost all departments are going to have the Remington. They also have a package that comes with a Leupold tactical scope, bipod, and case. But it depends what you intentions are for the gun, police missions, squirrels, deer, or just plinking??
Old 07-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

Well since you mentioned police, I will have to recommend the Remongton 700P or PSS over the Savage. They some from the factory with a H-S Precision stock on them and are highly accurate. If your looking for a Law Enforcement Sniper rifle for duty, then almost all departments are going to have the Remington. They also have a package that comes with a Leupold tactical scope, bipod, and case. But it depends what you intentions are for the gun, police missions, squirrels, deer, or just plinking??
So do the Savages

Law Enforcement Series

Model 10FPXP HS Precision – with AccuTrigger

[align=right]Action[/align]
Short

[align=right]Caliber[/align]
308 Win

[align=right]Overall Length [/align]
46.25"

[align=right]Barrel Length[/align]
24"

[align=right]Weight[/align]
11 lbs

[align=right]Magazine Capacity [/align]
4 rounds

[align=right]Stock[/align]
HS Precision black synthetic tactical stock with molded alloy bedding system and swivel studs.

[align=right]Sights[/align]
Leupold® 3.5-10x40mm black matte scope with Mil Dot reticle, Farrell Picatinny Rail Base and flip open lens covers.

[align=right]Rifling Rate of Twist[/align]
308 Win. (1 in 10")

[align=right]Features[/align]
AccuTrigger™ adjustable from approximately 1 1/2 to 6 lbs, matte blued barreled action, heavy free-floating and button rifled barrel, oversized bolt handle, internal box magazine, 1-1/4" sling with QD swivels, Harris bipod and Storm™ heavy duty case included.

[align=right]Suggested Retail[/align]
$2,235.00

[align=center]
Heavy Duty Case
Standard with the Model 10FXP. Heavy duty Storm weather-proof case for easy transport.
[/align]

Old 07-26-2006, 05:11 PM

I have a 10-40x50 tasco scope mounted on my savage 12 fvss .223 and i started using it on 40x for benchrest style shooting and relized that 40x isnt need for shooting a 100 yards. But when i shoot in the winter at our family cabin where you can make 700-800 yard shots eaisly the 40x really shines.But since you seem serious about long range shooting id spend the money on a zeiss of almost any power. theres not much to say about the savage rifles, the only thing that could be improved is the peice of junk synthetic stocks they mount on a perfectly fine rifle.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:24 PM

I agree with bigmatty the rifles themselves are nice but the factory stocks are junk.

Quick Reply: Savage Police

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.