HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Does anybody else hunt with Surplus rifles? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/148600-does-anybody-else-hunt-surplus-rifles.html)

grizzly190 07-20-2006 11:21 AM

Does anybody else hunt with Surplus rifles?

Just curious but does anybody besides me hunt with old Mil. surplus rifles? I personally shoot aM44 Mosin Nagantthats over 60 yrs old and only cost $100. but I wouldnt trade it for anything less than a Barret .50 cal. simply becauseI know exactly where that bullets gonna go when I aim it and no matter howmuch abuse it takes the sights are always dead on. plus the 7.62x54r caliberis right up in between the .308 and .30-06. and Im sure if your rifle got dropped you would check for scratches and nicks and such. when mine falls and new scratches arrive I dont freak out. plus around here where the flattest part might be a 200 yard pasture Iron sights beat scopes any day. so there is no wondering if the sights are still on or not. the only complaint I have is the straight bolt.

xd9x19 07-20-2006 01:10 PM

RE: Does anybody else hunt with Surplus rifles?

Hello, griz, I just got a Springfield 1903 a few weeks back and I'm going to use it for deer this season once I find some good ammo. The stock on my '03 is like your Mosin...banged up and another scratch or dent won't bother it (or me). I've got to get in some practice time to get used to the sights. The aperture/peep sight on the flip-up ladder sight isn't the best set-up, but if I'm shooting OK with it at the range, I'm going to use my '03.

I was seriously considering a Mosin (M44 version) for use as a deer rifle. Where I currently hunt is a wooded area and I don't have shots over 50 yards except on rare occasions. If I hadn't been able to get my '03, I'd have a Mosin-Nagant. May still get one at some point. Hard to pass up a piece of history for less than $100.

Oh, I also have a Yugo M59/66 SKS that I took out to the field once last year, complete with folding bayonet and grenade launcher attached. That 7.62x39 is just right for short-range shots like mine. I put a Williams firesight set on it and have some 154 SP ammo. Not the most accurate arrangement, but it will do...well, I think it will. Didn't get a chance to find out. I had just settled in to wait for the deer and hadn't been there more than 15 minutes before my son tagged a nice 8 pt and the SKS and I called it a day.

statjunk 07-20-2006 02:15 PM

I plan on hunting this year with a Swiss 7.5X55 using only iron sights. At 50 yards I'm deadly.

Tom

Briman 07-20-2006 03:51 PM

Yes, I've used a Kar98 and a M1 garand in the past. I now just use a remington 700 because my eyes aren't as good as they were 5 years ago, but I always take a mauser as a second backup rifle in case anything happens to my remmy.

biscuit jake 07-20-2006 06:30 PM

Heh heh. Used to. SMLE #4 .303 British. But these days I rely on scopes so I have no warhorses in active use.

Crew Dawg 07-20-2006 07:01 PM

I use an SMLE #4 Mk1 in 303. It was in amazing shape when i got it. So put a composite stock on it and a scope mount from Brownells.Since i couldn't hit any thing smaller than a Bull Elephant, past a hundred yards with that peep.

Charley 07-20-2006 08:35 PM

Yep. Hunt with or have hunted with Lee Enfields, Martini Henrys, Gw88, Mausers 1895, 1896, and 1898. French MAS 49/56, Various Mosin Nagants.Also trapdoor Springfields.

I love military rifles.

Solitary Man 07-21-2006 09:51 AM

I've got a model 1891 Mauser (7.65mm Arg.) that I use occassionally. It was manufactured by DWM,though I have no idea in what year, andwas used by themilitary of some South American country. My guess would beArgentina, butI don't know for sure. My grandfather bought it years and years ago when a lot of these rifles became available as surplus in the U.S.

Pygmy 07-21-2006 10:08 AM

Solitary Man...Yes..That would be an Argentine...

I have hunted with an issue K98K , but never killed a deer with it...

I have a Yugo M48A with a Mojo sight on it that shoots very well..I've used it to shoot a few woodchucks but never shot a deer with it..

My very first deer rifle was a Chilean M95 in 7 x 57... Being young and stupid, I Bubbaized it, mounted a 2.5 Weaver on it, and used it to kill several PA whitetails and then eventually sold it..

Ipaid $35 for it in excellent condition ( in the early 70s) and wish I still had it in it's original condition..

grizzly190 07-21-2006 10:35 AM

Im actually looking into getting a 8mm Mauser for fun. I love cleaning and restoring the old things, cause its history that goes BOOM! But if anybody has any old surplus stuff and wantt to sell it PLZ contact me and let me know by [email protected]