Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Does anybody else hunt with Surplus rifles? >

Does anybody else hunt with Surplus rifles?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Does anybody else hunt with Surplus rifles?

Old 07-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does anybody else hunt with Surplus rifles?

Grizzly..If you're interested in an 8 x57, you may want to check out the Yugo M48 and M48A..Many of these rifles are available in nearly unissued condition.. They were made when bolt action rifles were already becoming obsolete by semi auto and selective fire weapons and many of them have been used very little..Price ain't bad, either, especially when you end up getting a virtually NEW condition rifle..
Old 07-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the mauser model 96 in 6.5X55 this round cant be beat. the only bad thing is the price is going thru the roof if you want one you had better get one fast I have seen price as high as $600.00 for that model. By the way thanks JamesB I love them both.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

yep but I'm a butcher. I redo the actions and restock them. I use Mausers but there scoped, rebarrelled to a number of calibers. I do have a couple that still have there original barrels (8 x 57) but as stated my eyes aren't anywhere near as good as they were a few years back, so I scope them.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:01 PM

I have hunted with one before, I believe it is a Russian M44, it shoots your 7.62x54, i love that gun more than any that i have, i believe i could drop it out of my stand and pull it behind my truck and it would still shoot straight, the only thing i dont like is it has a short barrel and stock, and the safety is a killer, for $110 i dont think i lost anything at all, my brother dropped a nice 8 pointer in his tracks with his, deer was dead before he hit the ground so i know it has plenty of punch, nothing wrong with Surplus in my opinion, all the ones we have had have been extremely reliable, other brother dropped a small doe in her tracks with a Chinese SKS 7.62x39, so hey, if looks arent that importantand you want to get into the sport for cheap, i think it is a good way to go,
Old 07-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Back in the 60's I bought 6.5 Carcano which I still have.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

CPsniper05--Dont know if you got the PM but heres what I do with my m44 safety

1. load the rifle up like normal but when you go to chamber the round hold the trigger back (like your stopping it from dry firing) and once you have it chambered you should be able to pull the trigger and nothing happen. when you get ready to fire just pull straight back on the knob like your going to put it on safety and this "cocks" the rifle. A hell of a lot easier than the safety in my opinion. esp. when theres a deer in front of ya.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:23 AM

I have a Mauser I plan on taking this year and using if I have the chance.
My father has a Springfeild he plays with, a Krag that he uses sometimes and a pair ofArisaka, one of which he had sportsterized for use as a "walking" rifle.

And if you want to go old surplus, there is the original Trapdoor Springfeild 45-70 that he and I have both used on occasion later in the season.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:11 AM
Typical Buck

In Canada many people still use the various enfields in .303 british. When I was a lad if you said "big game rifle" it was a win. 94 in 30/30 or more likely an enfield in 303 brit.

Down here in Australia .303 brits are also popular. They have wildcatted the 303 to a number of different cats. The .25/303 (they call it the 303/25) is a popular refit.

Robin down under
Old 07-23-2006, 02:54 AM

another from on my list of "once I havea few more bill paid, I'm going to get...." list

Enfield, preferably a jungle carbine.

(if only I had a few hundred more when I got my Mauser from the estate sale at the shop. Could have have another Mauser, a Springfield AND an Enfield for another $350)
Old 07-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

gahhhh I cant wait till im 18 and can "legally" buy my own rifles cause I despretley want a Enfield in .303 and a CETME wich I dont think would be good for hunting but a semi-auto 7.62/.308....with a20 round clip

Quick Reply: Does anybody else hunt with Surplus rifles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.