Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag >

7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

Old 07-21-2006, 12:50 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: 7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

I get 3170fps with 160gr accubond out of my STW. Not bad I think. But still can't keep up with a RUM. Thats with 76gr IMR7828.

Old 07-22-2006, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

explaining the hills: IDK that much about a ultra mag just what my friend has told me about them but I know that a 7mm shoots flat and an ultra mag doesnt shoot as flat as a reg 7mm.
Do you not realize that a rem and an Ultra both shoot the same bullets? If the Ultra shoots faster how can it not shoot flatter? Pretty basic physics. Your friend really doesn't know much about rifles and cartridges.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

hmm...didnt know that but thanks for clearing it up. But why would my step-dads 7mm shoot right on at 150 yrds while his ultra mag hits about 1/2'' low? my step-dad uses 160 gr. bullets and i have no idea what my buddy uses. but even if somebody else shoots it. its usually about 1/2''-1'' low.we shoot off a bench rest also.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two things are possible there. Either your friends 7 RUM isn't sighted in quite as high as your dads 7RM, or they are sighted in the same at 100 yds, and the 7RUM is hasn't risen that high yet because it shoots flatter than the 7RM.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Much thanks dont know why i didnt think about that. or my buddys shooting heavier bullets im gonna have to ask what gr. he's using.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Grizzly190,
Sorry for my harsh response, I did not realize you were just a young guy. To put further light on this you need to realize that sometimes different loads of the exact same bullet will impact at different spots. That is why it is always recommended for factory ammo shooters to sight the rifles in with exact same ammo/lot number that they will hunt with. Do not draw too many conclusions about where bullets impact at 100 yds to compare trajectory. You would first need to zero both perfectly then study the down range differences.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry for my harsh response, I did not realize you were just a young guy.
Whatever your age,if you make statements that are totally incorrect,you can expect to be corrected.This is usually done in a civil manner although you could find yourself being teased a little,depending on what you have posted.As such it is a good idea todo a little research to verify that youreally know what you are talking about,before posting.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

no prob... and I would hope to be corrected if Im wrong. Ijoined the forum to learn stuff. b/c Im taking gunsmithing classes in the fall so any little bit I can learn is much appreciated. And stub I'll start double checking my info
Old 07-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ask all the questions you can think of. You will get anwers from experienced shooters and handloaders not company brochures that are full of misleading stats. You can't buy the kind of experience that is on here.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:14 PM

Grizz,
Find an old gunsmith, offer to work for free. Even if you do nothing but clean guns you will learn more than you can imagine just by taking them apart. I have not met many gunsmiths that don't want to teach what they know.

Quick Reply: 7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.